Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It's actually not even really necessary to save it...we can create a new one whenever we're ready. Just go to bed...get some rest :whistling: We can continue anytime you're ready.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
oh yeah, hooray, halla julia (as my nephew says)....thank you so very much....i'm going to bed now, i'll just close out of that boot file and not save it, since i can copy and paste the red typing again tomorrow.

thanks so much, really, i have some hope for the first time!

goodnight!

susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
hi wannbe1,

i'm back, feeling a little better, well rested and ready to go whenever you are.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad you're feeling a little better...a good rest can work wonders. :whistling:

Let's go after that stubborn file and get rid of it. Download and install Move On Boot on your machine. Start the application...click "Next", then browse to the boot.ini in the E: drive and select it...click "Open" then click "Next". Choose to Delete the file...click "Start". It should tell you the file will be deleted on the next boot. Click "Finish" and reboot.

See if the file is gone from the E: drive.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i'm a bit confuse...the only boot.ini on the E drive is that boot.ini.backup with the blue font. the one you had me put on is gone because it wouldn't let me save it as boot.ini message: file already exists, change name...so does that mean that even tho i deleted the one i put on, it's still there (altho i could see in as a hidden file on the E drive and now i don't)....my question is what boot am i getting rid off.

sorry for the delay in rsping...i had to go pick up my son. i'm home for good now, so i'll be around and checking in here.

susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

i'm a bit confuse...the only boot.ini on the E drive is that boot.ini.backup with the blue font. the one you had me put on is gone because it wouldn't let me save it as boot.ini message: file already exists, change name...so does that mean that even tho i deleted the one i put on, it's still there (altho i could see in as a hidden file on the E drive and now i don't)....my question is what boot am i getting rid off.

sorry for the delay in rsping...i had to go pick up my son. i'm home for good now, so i'll be around and checking in here.

susan

forgot...and the only way to even see that boot.ini.back is when i do a search....so if that's the one i'm suppose to delete, you want me to do a search first, find where it's loacted and take it from there.

or do you want me to find this supposed 'boot.ini' read only file? cause i don't think it's there anymore, i deleted it.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

susan

forgot...and the only way to even see that boot.ini.back is when i do a search....so if that's the one i'm suppose to delete, you want me to do a search first, find where it's loacted and take it from there.

or do you want me to find this supposed 'boot.ini' read only file? cause i don't think it's there anymore, i deleted it.

let's get in all the questions at once! do you want me to redo this again:

Copy the red text into Notepad. Name this file boot.ini and save it to E:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Close the Notepad window. Right click on the file in E: and choose "Properties". Tick the box next to "Hidden" and apply the change.

before i start this downloading and deleting process?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...if you are sure the other one is gone, this should go quickly.

Copy the text to Notepad. Save the file to the E: drive...name = boot.ini...File Type = All Files...Encoding = ANSI.

Let me know when you have this file saved and it is visible in the E: drive.

No need to use Move On Boot...you can hold off on that.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ok, i got the same message as last nite when i went to save it: This file exsists with read only atrributes. Please use a different file name.

but, when i created that file last night, i clearly saw it in the E drive, now it's not there, i think we made it hidden so it was kinda faded, but it was there, i saw it...now it's not.

what to do now? since the only boot.ini that comes up in a search is that boot.ini.backup with that blue font (i don't know where it's located, but if i do a search, i can find out).

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Search for it again...see if it shows up now. Also get me the path (location) for the boot.ini.backup file.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ah ha...i think i found out the reason why i keep getting that message.

i did a search for boot.ini on the E drive (which is the laptop) and i only got that 'boot.ini.backup' with blue font, located in E:\WINDOWS\pss (BACKUP FILE) (Modified 3/2/2005)...right click, using Open Containing Folder prompt, there are 3 other files in there: systems.ini.backup, win.ini.backup and boot.ini.backup

then i ran a search on MY C drive for the same, i got more there....

boot.ini.backup, black font, located in C:\WINDOWS\pss, (BACKUP FILE) (Modified 9/26/2006) my computer crashed and i had to reinstall

syd's boot (which is the one we forced to open on my computer in My Documents, (i changed the name from boot.ini to syds boot so i wouldn't confuse it with boot.ini on my system), located in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents (Configuration Setting) (Modified 3/2/2005)

boot.ini, located in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Recent (Shortcut) (Modified 129/2006 1:40AM)!!!!!! when i try to open this it says it's been deleted, or no longer exists and would i like to delte the short cut...i think this is the culprit!!!! This is the file we forced open in my My Documents that is now called syd's boot. This is the one that needs to go so i can create the new one in Notepad...think i'm right?

reboot.ini, located in C:\Program Files\Yahoo (Configuration Setting) (Modified 3/24/2004)

getting smarter susan!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ah-ha...yes, delete that shortcut!

Then try to save the file again...using the settings I suggested. Be sure to save it to the E: directory (drive)

Edited by wannabe1, 09 December 2006 - 05:20 PM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ah ha...i was wrong!

i still get the same message that a file already exists with same name, try renaming it....don't understand.

there was a few boot file located on my computer in Recent and Temp, but i went back and deleted everything. crap :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Check the Recycle Bin...if you find the files you just deleted, right click them and choose "Restore". Try thinking of the E: as a completely separate computer...we only access through using "My Computer". Anything that doesn't have an address that starts with E:\ is part of your machine and needs to be left alone.

Let's check the folder view settings again...just to be sure. In the Explorer window, click "Tools" on the toobar and choose "Folder Options". Under the "View" tab, make sure there is a tick in the button next to "Show hidden files and folders".

Is this how you find it?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Try thinking of the E: as a completely separate computer...we only access through using "My Computer". Anything that doesn't have an address that starts with E:\ is part of your machine and needs to be left alone.

i have been doing this...you are the one who keeps calling it a 'folder', i keep calling it a drive or the laptop. and the only reason i checked on 'my computer' is because you had me transfer her boot file onto my computer, that's why it showed up in the Recent folder...and when you delete from Recent it doesn't go into the recycle bin, i don't know where it goes, but it just disappears into outer space. i did restore the files from the Temp folder from my computer.

we already made all the hidden folders 'seeable', but i rechecked and indeed hidden folders can be seen.

here's just something i've noticed...on the "E" drive, when i do a search, i kinda notice that all it searches in is the Windows folder...so for the heck of it, i did a search on some jpegs and mpegs, and wma's and mp3's (all of which i've seen and i've been copying syd's photos onto cd's for backup) and when the search is done, it shows no results???...is this because of password protection again? i just thought that was rather weird that it's not searching the whole drive...and i noticed this when i did the search on both drives...i noticed that my computer was going thru everything and her computer was only going to WINDOWS...any good reason for this?