Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
just a quck question. i was going to transfer some of her files, but i thought i'd open one to make sure everything was ok...i could not open Word documents, i got this message:

Word cannot open this document: User does not have access privileges (E:\...My Documents\artgov.doc)

i'm confused, i thought what i did last night was 'take ownership', yet it won't allow me to see the documents? and i'm not snooping...just checking before i transfer!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can take ownership of the document and open it. This may be your daughter's password showing up...see if the files will move to your drive even if they won't open for you.

We'll certainly run some checks on your machine once we get the other HDD back in the laptop...be sure to run an Anti Virus scan and Spyware scan on the C: drive, too...the virus may have migrated.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i'm sorry again, i did run anti virus scan and all sorts of adware/spyware on my computer and while that was going on, i feel asleep again! even missed my football game, woke up to highlights and they lost :whistling:

and NO i can't transfer any Word documents from the Dede file...some music, not all, no pictures (which is what she needs, as well as word docs, i can tell by the name). i get this message: Access to E:\Documents and Settings\Dede\My Documents\Pictures\dad.jpg was denied.

the Word docs message was a bit different: Cannot copy thoughtart.doc. Access is denied. Make sure the disk not full or computer protected and that the file is not currently in use.

now when you say 'take ownership of the document' do you mean i have to go into Safe Mode and preform that whole ritual with each and every single thing that's in that Dede file? one by one?

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try taking ownership (from Safe Mode) of just the folder the documents are in...make sure the "all subdirectories" check box is checked. Go for the most important ones first and see if you can get them moved.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i didn't fall asleep this time, it actually took that long to do all that crap. first i tried, one folder at a time, then went back to normal and it didn't work, then i tried all the folders and yes, i did check the subfolder and whatever else, and i can see and read this stuff in Safe Mode, but not when i come back to Normal Mode on my computer...what is up? it's driving me crazy. can i just transfer all the files in Safe Mode? would that work? i'm about ready to lose my mind. i plugged in that extra drive because i don't have enough space for all the crap she wants off her hard drive...so can't i just use Safe Mode to transfer...only thing is Word looks different, as do her photos, all are black & white with dots....but things look different in Safe Mode anyways.

oh, and i go to delete something on her drive and i get: The Recyle Bin E:\ is corrupt. Do you want to empty the recycle bin for this drive? it was on my drive anyways, i don't know why it would send to the E drive's recycle bin, i can't even see that.

sick and losing my mind!

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you...I didn't get the e-mail notification till just now...then I got three telling me the same thing. :whistling:

By all means, try to transfer them to the external HDD if it will let you. We won't do anything to the laptop drive until we know the files are ok.

The special folders (recycle bin, my documents, etc...) are not going to function well on the E: drive until we get it back on it's own.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
you said it was ok to transfer the files to the external HDD...but you didn't say it was ok to via Safe Mode, which is the only way i can access these files. normal start up won't let me touch them, even tho i took OWNERSHIP!!! yes, via Safe Mode?

don't worry about timing...i feel worse today, so i'm taking my time. ok?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...try it in Safe Mode

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ok. will do, may take a while (figured out i have about 40 programs running in the backgroudn at start up and that's why my computer takes so long to load,,,gotta figure out how to stop that). thanks, will post after i'm done.

susan

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hi Wannbe1,

I just wrote this whole post and it somehow disappeared, losing my mind again.

First, I want to apologize to you for disappearing on you 9 days ago. That cold I had, led me to the ER and I had pnuemonia and bronchitis and couldn't talk or breath for a week...a lost week in bed, ugh!

Now I started my duties! However, the laptop hard drive got a virus (JS/Petch), my anti virus program found it but would not delete/clean it or quarantine it. I ended up talking over the phone and remote computer assistance with some dumb tech. All I wanted was to know how to manually remove the virus. Once I showed him where the virus was located, the idiot took the html page and put it in my trash and deleted and said "gone now". I almost lost it on the guy, I could have done that, but duh, it doesn't delete the crap the virus attached itself to, ie, several registry start up programs, etc. (see, I took the time to go read the Virus Encyclopedia to see how the virus affected the computer/laptop...Mr. Computer Tech Expert, was reading from some training book!). I'm no genius when it comes to computers, but if removing viruses was that easy, why would we need programs to clean them and quarentine them...wouldn't it save the world alot of money by just tossing all viruses into the trash! Needless to say, I wasn't very happy with the man and told him and he hung up on me and signed off my computer, taking with him, the directions on how to manually removed the virus. I then spent 4 hours calling the company and complaing about him, to no avail.

My hope was to transfer the laptop hard drive to the external drive I purchased, but I'm afraid to do that now, since idiot trashed the virus, so the virus program can't find it anymore, yet it's havock is still on laptop hard drive and I don't know how to remove it manually. And if I transfer it my external drive, I'm still transferring the virus...understand me? I know I get wordy, but I get worried.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I'm way behind on Xmas all around from being laid up for a week and very busy, but I'd like to get this whole hard drive thing out of the way and have the laptop ready for her when she comes home.

I can probably check in here in the evenings, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Susan
PS...I betcha thought you were rid of me!!!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Welcome back, Susan...I never doubted for a moment that you would return. You don't seem like a quitter to me. :whistling:

If you transfer only documents, photos, music, and other data files to the external drive, you should be pretty safe. Viri and such tend to play with system files and really get a kick out of seeing how many places they can hide in the registry. So move just the data files.

We can fire this machine up, I think, but with your daughter's portfolio on there, I'd rather not take the chance of losing anything. Invariably, it will be the only file on the machine that you really, really wanted that will end up corrupt...one of Murphey's many laws.

Where do we stand on taking ownership of her files?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
"If you transfer only documents, photos, music, and other data files to the external drive, you should be pretty safe. Viri and such tend to play with system files and really get a kick out of seeing how many places they can hide in the registry. So move just the data files"...Understand this.

"We can fire this machine up, I think, but with your daughter's portfolio on there, I'd rather not take the chance of losing anything. Invariably, it will be the only file on the machine that you really, really wanted that will end up corrupt."....Don't quite understand this. You're saying 'let's save her portfolio...and next sentence telling me it will be lost or corrupt?

"Where do we stand on taking ownership of her files?"...Stupid ownership stuff....refresh your memory...went thru the whole drama of doing it in Safe Mode, go back to Normal, still denied access...went back to Safe Mode, have ownership in Safe Mode and asked you if it was OK to transfer her file in Safe Mode, even tho her pictures and digital imaging looks different (as do most things in Safe Mode, just don't want them to stay that way!)...I believe you said it was OK to transfer in Safe Mode??? Correct???? And then I ran into the virus and Mr. Technician! Would you or should I transfer her files in Safe Mode onto external drive? And will they be 'normal' when I put them back on her hard drive?

One more question? What is your goal with her hard drive? Are we wiping it out and reinstalling XP? Or are you trying to save the whole drive? I ask because my daughter's a dope, if we do the above mentioned, she may have her files, but she won't be able to access them because she does not have ANY software to reinstall her programs, ie, Photoshop, Illustrator, Digital Ethching, Word...I have my back up and I can supply her with some programs, but all that art stuff, I do not have. I purchased her these programs and installed them 3 years ago when she started art school and "she doesn't no what software is and she has no disks or CD's"...understand she's under alot of pressure right now, but duh, I have drivers from old old old printers, I never throw away or lose anything.

So for these reasons, I kinda wanted to know your plan of attack.

Thanks so much for putting up with me!

Susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

You're saying 'let's save her portfolio...and next sentence telling me it will be lost or corrupt?

What I'm saying is I want to get her files off the laptop drive before we put it back in the laptop. Doing this will help us to avoid the possibility of corruption to the file when we start working with the drive back in the laptop.

The plan is to get the laptop working again without formatting. I'm hoping we can bring it back and clean it up with everything aboard intact...however, right now I don't know if this can be accomplished. That's why I want to get the files off that drive before we start on it.

I don't know that the copy/paste will work in Safe Mode, but you'll have to take ownership of the files from there as the security settings are only available to you in Safe Mode in XP Home Edition. Then move the files while in Normal Mode.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK...what you say is good news to me, providing it works...I'm crossing my fingers, as well.

As far as ownership, let me refresh your memory from prior posts because I'm somewhat confused now and then you tell me what to do.

Posted Dec 10 2006, 07:13 PM - Me
"i didn't fall asleep this time, it actually took that long to do all that crap. first i tried, one folder at a time, then went back to normal and it didn't work, then i tried all the folders and yes, i did check the subfolder and whatever else, and i can see and read this stuff in Safe Mode, but not when i come back to Normal Mode on my computer...what is up? it's driving me crazy. can i just transfer all the files in Safe Mode? would that work? i'm about ready to lose my mind. i plugged in that extra drive because i don't have enough space for all the crap she wants off her hard drive...so can't i just use Safe Mode to transfer...only thing is Word looks different, as do her photos, all are black & white with dots....but things look different in Safe Mode anyways."

Posted Dec 10 2006, 08:39 PM - You
"By all means, try to transfer them to the external HDD if it will let you. We won't do anything to the laptop drive until we know the files are ok"

Posted Dec 10 2006, 10:02 PM - Me
"you said it was ok to transfer the files to the external HDD...but you didn't say it was ok to via Safe Mode, which is the only way i can access these files. normal start up won't let me touch them, even tho i took OWNERSHIP!!! yes, via Safe Mode?"

Posted Dec 10 2006, 10:08 PM - You
"Yes...try it in Safe Mode" Am I correct in that now you are telling me that this will not work?

Posted Dec 10 2006, 10:35 PM - Me
"ok. will do, may take a while (figured out i have about 40 programs running in the backgroudn at start up and that's why my computer takes so long to load,,,gotta figure out how to stop that). thanks, will post after i'm done." Then I got sick and came back yesterday...

Do you understand my confusion? I went thru the 'taking ownership' thing, step by step in Safe Mode, it appeared to work until I got back into normal mode and got another access message, went back to Safe Mode and indeed, I can see, open, read all the files, but it can not be done in Normal Mode...I don't know why, I did take ownership...I mean how many times can one person on one computer 'take ownership'? If it can or should be done again, tell me and I'll do it...is that what you are trying to tell me?

Again, sorry, I don't understand most of this jargon, but learning!

Susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you take ownership of the files in Safe Mode, are you logging in to the Administrator account or your own?

Try moving them in Safe Mode.

I've got to step out for a bit, but will check back in when I return.