Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Instructions.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OMG...that was possibly the worst part of this whole experience so far, phew! And wouldn't you know, since when we first started...remember we were unscrewing everything to find where the hard drive was located...so I finish up and turn the laptop over on ONE screw drops out of I don't know where and I don't care right now!

All booted up into BIOS...now what's this magic potion you have up your sleeve for me?

Boot reads (like I said...[bleep] I'm getting good at this) CDROM - LAN - HDD - FDD...how do we (me) change this?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you use the arrow keys to select LAN? If you can, select it and press the D key. Does it move down one level?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Can you use the arrow keys to select LAN? If you can, select it and press the D key. Does it move down one level?

Do you mean to move LAN into first place? Then the answer is no...remember we had trouble or you were troubled with the fact that we (me) couldn't move these drives into whatever priotity you wanted (I believe you want CD to boot first)???

These are my only choices (using Spacebar and/or BkSp keys):

CDROM - LAN - FDD - HDD
FDD - CDROM - LAN - HDD
HDD - CDROM - LAN - FDD
FDD - HDD - CDROM - LAN
HDD - FDD - CDROM - LAN

Question...why does it list a Floppy Drive when she doesn't have one?

Wait for your replay on what to do...maybe I'll press the D key on one that fancies me and see what happens! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You have the "other" bios...I had a 50-50 chance of getting it right...forgot to compensate for Murphey. :whistling:

Leave it the way it is..let's try it. Put the XP cd in the tray and restart.

If it prompts, press a key to boot to cd. Let me know if it boots to the "Welcome to Setup" screen.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
You mean I have the bad BIOS! Ah, that Murphy, what a pain his laws can be!

Now what order would you like to have the boot in? Since I've messed aroud with it to give you that info. Which order?

If it prompts to press key to boot, we won't have the same problem as before because of the new boot.ini???

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
CDROM - LAN - FDD - HDD

To answer your earlier question...all BIOS versions include the FDD option. I'm still a firm believer in the floppy drive.

We need to see the Welcome to Setup screen.... :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OMG, it's loading, I can't believe it...at Windows Setup...yeah....Welcome to Setup!

Which one? Repair?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OMG, it's loading, I can't believe it...at Windows Setup...yeah....Welcome to Setup!

Which one? Repair?

I, too, am a fan of Floppy Drives, always something to fall back on.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press R

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should get a screen with 1. C:\WINDOWS

Type 1 and press "Enter".

At the password prompt, press "Enter"

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Not sure if I did it right...pressed R, the only option for windows was: C:\WINDOWS to repaird. It doesn't show an existing 'Microsoft Windows XP' (like my computer does when I entered Safe Mode, you know?)

So pressed R, hit enter, and it went thru the set up again....should I type in C:\WINDOWS?

Some good news, we (me) didn't get the config error again, right? eh?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Was this the screen you saw...without the extra entry?
RC_002.jpg

And yes...no error = very good

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 01:09 AM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Could that be any smaller? LOL From what I could see with a magnifying glass...yes, minus whatever the 2nd choice was

It reads like that, all Recovery Console info, then I only have one (1) windows option: C:\WINDOWS

Should I type that in or should I use the #1 or both?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Press the number 1 key and then "Enter".

When I post an image, it will be a thumbnail...click it and you'll get a large view. :whistling: