Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
At the password prompt, just press "Enter".

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

When I post an image, it will be a thumbnail...click it and you'll get a large view

Did not know that, thank you.

Pressed 1 and enter and now I have a new line which reads C:\WINDOWS

???

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

At the password prompt, just press "Enter".

Confused...is this where I might be going? once I get past this WINDOWS thing?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Like this? ----> C:\WINDOWS>

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
I'm sorry, yes, like that. I should have been more exact.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
YES!!!!

Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter"

You will be told the drive is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter".

This should start a long check that will thoroughly inspect and recover the file system on that drive. Once it completes it will (hopefully) boot directly to Windows. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this to run, so be patient. It may look like it stalls or even back up at times...this is normal...let it finish however long it takes.

Edited by wannabe1, 21 December 2006 - 01:33 AM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Yikes...don't think I've heard you be that excited this whole time...but if you're happy, then I'm happy...

It says CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recovery...@30%

Is this something I just wait to run and then all this

"You will be told the drive is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot. Type Y and press "Enter".

Type exit and press "Enter".

This should start a long check that will thoroughly inspect and recover the file system on that drive. Once it completes it will (hopefully) boot directly to Windows. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this to run, so be patient. It may look like it stalls or even back up at times...this is normal...let it finish however long it takes."

will start happening?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Looks like it's running without the additional prompting...I can live with that... :blink:

Let it run and see if it boots to Windows when it's done. There are 5 stages to this check...the last two take forever. :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
And, Wannbe...I actually had the guts to post to 2 other people having problems :whistling:

Perhaps, I might be a geekette in training!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
With what you'be been through already, I'd say you're on the road to qualifying. :whistling:

I'm glad your helping out...it's a busy place.

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
OK, then you can actually leave me now, correct? Since I have your directions and apparently it's all a time thing (a long long time thing) from here on in, correct? Because I don't want to keep you here any longer than I have to, I know you need to get up for work, I, am fortunate enough to work from home on puter, so I can make my own hours....but even I might attempt a rest while waiting for this to run. And you are right, it does faulter back and forth, went from 75% back to 50% and is still checking stage.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
This is actually the same disk checking that I have on my computer only it's running thru DOS or Recovery?

I defrag and clean the disk alot!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When it backs up like that, it's made a repair and is rechecking...this is what we were hoping for.

Let it run...I really think it'll end up on the desktop. Then we'll have something we can work on! We'll get everything cleaned up and running right, and then make sure the data is good. Anything that turns up bad, we'll recover from the external.

I'd say we're on the downhill stretch...though there are still some chickens to hatch.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Essentially, yes. We're using the same program, but before Windows loads and we've added the /r switch which tells it to recover the errors it finds rather than just report them.

I'm off to catch some ZZZzzzz's. I'll check back first thing in the morning to see how your fared.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Awe, when you got so happy I thought we were practically at the finish line :whistling:

So after checking, it might open to the desktop, at which point I might be able to see if I can access a file or two? Hopefully all her programs (.exe) will still be there, as the dope doesn't have a CD to save anything....mother has had a long talk with her....because all of this will be for not, if we can't recover this hard drive and then I will shoot myself!