Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
thanks silverbeard and wannbe1, but neither one of your suggestions worked...i got the Toshbia page (no error page) with F10 and F12....any other ideas?

and what does this mean: I think the System hive of the registry is corrupt

trouble??? lol

susan

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The registry consists of 5 hive...4 of which tell the machine how to run. If one becomes unreadable (in your case, the system hive), the machine can't start. A repair installation will usually repair this.

Let me do a little more research on your particular machine and I'll post back first thing in the morning...it's a quarter past one in the morning here. :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
oh thank god you mentioned finishing in the morning...i didn't want to be rude to you and phase out on you, but it's 3:30 AM here in MA and i'm exhausted and should we get this thing going, i'm going to need more time to do the repair itself!!!

thanks...i'll be looking for your post in the AM.

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Using the F8 method, can you boot to the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option?

If you are able to boot to command prompt, leave it running and let me know...we'll try a couple of things from there.

Edited by wannabe1, 05 December 2006 - 08:42 AM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
morning wannbe1,

no, i am not able to get to anywhere by using the F8 key. i can use it and it brings me to all the choices, however i recieve that multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe, etc., etc. (see other message) crap again.

susan

ps...i didn't get to bed until 4:30 AM!!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'll be here off and on all day long...get some rest.

Go back into the BIOS Setup...to the boot priority, and see if using the Backspace key will give you any more options for the devices. I've noted that some Satellites also put the cd-rom under the heading FDD, so if there is an option for making that first and HDD second, try it.

At this point, we need access to that cd-rom drive... :whistling:

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
hi wannbe1,

i got the Boot Priotity to read: FDD/HDD/CD-ROM/LAN....is that what you wanted?

i'll be here all day, just waiting for you!

thanks,

susan
ps...what does FDD stand for, i figured out HDD and LAN (and CD-ROM!)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
FDD = ? for Toshiba. In most cases this would stand for Fixed Disk Drive (another name for HDD), but apparently Toshiba groups at least one class of cd-roms under this setting. Let's hope your's is one of them.

With the WinXP cd in the cd-rom, restart the machine and watch for a prompt on the screen to "Press any key to boot from cd"...if you see that prompt, tap the spacebar once and let me know that you have gotten that far. You will only have a few seconds to boot to the cd, so watch carefully for the prompt.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
it's been a few mins...i did just as you said...the cd rom is running you can hear it, but it's not doing anything, i have basically a black/greyish page with nothing on it...should i wait longer for something to happen?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...it should have happened quite quickly.

Do you have floppy drives on both machines?

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i got the Boot Priotity to read: FDD/HDD/CD-ROM/LAN

With the WinXP cd in the cd-rom, restart the machine and watch for a prompt on the screen to "Press any key to boot from cd"...if you see that prompt, tap the spacebar once and let me know that you have gotten that far. You will only have a few seconds to boot to the cd, so watch carefully for the prompt.

ok, i didn't see a prompt for "press any key to boot from cd", i got the same old error message that we started off with. sorry.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i have a floppy on this working computer, but none on the laptop.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
FDD...I fed you a bit of misinformation on that. My mind must have been on other business... :whistling: FDD = Floppy Disk Drive. Still, it's odd that Toshiba groups some of it's optical drives under this.

Ok...nix that idea. Need a floppy on the laptop to make it work.

Go back into BIOS Setup, under Boot Priority, and list for me all the combinations it shows for priority.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
it's ok that you were incorrect, i've been sitting here for hours, i can only imagine how crazy you get!

Boot Priotity = HDD/FDD/CDROM/LAN

i can only get it to read two ways:

CDROM/LAN/FDD/HDD

and

CDROM/LAN/HDD/FDD

don't know why it say FDD when there isn't on on the laptop!

thanks, wannbe1

susan

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Choose CDROM/LAN/HDD/FDD...save the change when you exit BIOS and see if it will boot to the cd.

Some Satellites had floppy drives, some didn't...same BIOS version regardless.