Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CD Rom won't start

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does the image below look like your machine? Don't mind the red outlines...it's a generic image of a Satellite.
toshiba.png
Look in the one next to the battery...I gave my Satellite to may oldest daughter a few years ago, so am having to do this from memory. :whistling:

Advertisements

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
memory is pretty good!

yes, it's similar. there are twe other compartments: one located to the right of the lower left (where fan was) and another almost on top of the center one, actually located to left of the hard drive. i can see a teenie little symbol on the center panel.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

memory is pretty good!

Does this mean you located the HDD?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
:whistling: NO...i meant your memory of your old Toshiba was good!!!

i did open all the compartments, keeping screws where they belong and covers ajar, but i don't know what a laptop hard drive even looks like.

using that box thingy as a guide, i'm obviously looking for something small with that is pinned in and perhaps got some wires plugged into it? got any pictures you can share so i'll know what i'm looking for. HD in CPU is much easier to find!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the compartment next to the battery...does what's in there have a label with a brand name or a part number on it?

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
that compartment looks empty to me, there's a black wire and a white wire taped down with hospital tape. it does have pins, but too many and nothing connected to the pins.

however, after snooping...the small compartment to the right of the lower left compartment has some little green thing with two screws holding it in and a black and red wire perhaps plugged in under it, with a folded 'official' tag on it, reads something like this: URST 1336, TEC/WR/I/MOD-08/01/068
SEPT02, PTA Approved. Then when I unfold it, there a shiny maybe hologram sticker TE 2006/116, ICASA APPROVED, IC: 1353A-L4AINT, NTC Type Approved, check mark with TELEPERMIT with a PTC# and a Factory ID...and that's only the front of the folded label...there's more info on the back of it to read with a magnifying glass! the compartment is has the WindowsXP Sticker with Key # right above it.

does all that help you? size wise, without unscrewing it, it appears to fit the 2.5" USB pin thingy that goes into the box thingy :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Look what I found... :whistling: Does this look a bit more like your machine?

Instructions

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i was just getting on here to tell you that i found this side plastic piece without any screws so i pride it open and low and behold, it looks like a small hard drive in there with a plastic tab thingy...so i started screwing everything back up and yanked on the plastic thingy and bam, I GOT A HARD DRIVE IN MY HAND....[bleep]! i'm so annoyed that you beat me to it, i wanted you to be proud of me for endless efforts to find the stupid thing!!!!!

YEAH, so now i have it and i'll put it in the box thingy and follow those directions?

and i'm so glad you understand my english, ie, thingies! :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...we've got the technical jargon flowing freely. :whistling:

I'm impressed with your enthusiasm for this!

Go ahead and put the HDD in the enclosure as suggested in the instructions that came with it and connect it to your machine.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
i have lots of enthusiasm when it comes to learning new things, especially computers.

tiny problem, that i'm probably going to ignore, the hard drive has a grey metal enclosure thingy where the pull tab is attached...i have to take it off in order to fit in the box thingy...even tho there are severe warnings not to disassemble or modify, not to remove any labels, do not push on the top cover handle only by sides or base. avoid giving shock, do not cover breathing hole (lord, i'd never do that!) however, rattle noise is normal. if i take the metal covering off, it will fit in the box thingy.

and speaking of the box thingy...........it didn't come with any directions, but it has a cool drawing on the back of the box entitled: HOW TO :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

but it has a cool drawing on the back of the box entitled: HOW TO :whistling: thumbsup.gif

:blink:

You'll have to remove the side rails from it to install the HDD in the enclosure

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
already done, just waiting for the laptop hard drive police to catch me, much like the mattress & pillow tag police.

question, i know you don't know much about the box thingy, but there are two USB's to choose from.

from reading the install guide on external hard drive, they said to use the longest one first and if you need more power, then use the conjoined twin USB...so should i follow that, since the cool drawing doesn't give you any info on the USB cords.....box does say to make sure the disk drive's jumper setting is set to Master and then connect the IEDA/ATA connector of your disk drive to the interface connector inside the box thingy, then use USB enclosure...what????

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

already done, just waiting for the laptop hard drive police to catch me, much like the mattress & pillow tag police.

question, i know you don't know much about the box thingy, but there are two USB's to choose from.

from reading the install guide on external hard drive, they said to use the longest one first and if you need more power, then use the conjoined twin USB...so should i follow that, since the cool drawing doesn't give you any info on the USB cords.....box does say to make sure the disk drive's jumper setting is set to Master and then connect the IEDA/ATA connector of your disk drive to the interface connector inside the box thingy, then use USB enclosure...what????

wow, this is truly wonderous! :whistling:

I THINK IT WORKED!!!

it showed all her files going by and now it's asking me how i want to open 'the E drive", do i choose the folder viewing option, since music and cameras are out of the question.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...open the folder view.

Then see if you can open the files. We may have to take ownership of them to get them where you want them. We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Edited by wannabe1, 06 December 2006 - 10:49 PM.

Susan9700

Susan9700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
houston, we may have a problem....

it worked, which is a good thing, however, i managed to reach my daughter via her b/f's cell and told her that i didn't (don't) see her folders with her pictures and word documents. she said she created several folders on the desktop and kept everything in it's appropriate folder. now i don't know much, but i do know that creating folders onto your desktop, isn't the same as saving them on the hard drive, ie, the "C" drive, only from viewing my own folders did i notice this. my son has a bad habit of saving his pictures, music and videos on folders he created on the desktop and when you use Windows Explorer they show up under My Desktop....scroll down a few places and you have My Computer, click the plus sign and you get an A drive, a C drive, a D drive....and none of the desktop folders are on any of those folders....she was starting to cry, my heart hurts for her, but i told her, i could be wrong and to wait until i spoke (ha ha...typed) you.

what showed up are are typical folders, program folder, scanned documents, etc....my computer says its running low on virtual memory and i could not view some other folders that i think might be what she's looking for....this is kinda why i asked if i could use that 120 gig thingy.

ok, so what's up now, doc?