Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Card issues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Warden

Warden

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
This just started happening recently. I connect to a wireless netowrk with no problem. After an unspecified amount of time, sometimes 15 min. sometimes an hour or two, wireless icon still says connected, however, no packets are being passed and I get page cannot be displayed. If I do an ipconfig, everything looks okay as well. I am not losing the signal or being disconnected, just not able to get out to the net. I am using a linksys dual band a +g card. WPC55AG. I have tried a different card as well, a new speed and signal boost with the same issue. Not sure why this is occuring. To correct the issue I view wireless networks, disco and reconnect and then I am fine for a while. Just curious if anyone might know the cause of the issue. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Warden and welcome to G2G,

Hope you using XP Pro like your profile says :whistling: Please follow the steps below to perform a ping test during a loss of connectivity.

1. Click on "Start"
2. Click on "Run"
3. Type in: cmd and press OK
4. From the command console type in: ipconfig and press Enter
5. Copy down the default gateway address listed
6. Close out the command console window
7. Open internet explorer and in the address bar type in the default gateway address from step 5 and press enter
8. When the Pop-up appears asking for a username and password enter the required inputs from step 43 of this thread.
9. Depending on your brand of router you need to navigate to the Status section of your configuration and locate your ISP's Default gateway address (not the same as the default gateway address form step 5). My router config "Status" looks like this, yours may or may not be similiar:
1.JPG
10. Copy down the address
11. Close out the Internet Explorer
12. Click on "Start"
13. Click on "Run"
14. Type in: cmd and hit enter
15. From the command console type in: ping youraddresshere -l 1000 -t and then press enter. Where it says youraddresshere in the ping command just insert the gateway address you copied down in step 10. so my ping command would look like this: ping 68.12.112.1 -l 1000 -t
*** In the ping command this "-l" is a lowercase L not a 1. ***
16. Now minimize the command console window and leave it running and continue using your pc as normal.
17. After you have noticed that you lost connectivity let it run for about 1 minute, then maximize your command console window and press and hold the "CTRL" + "C" key to stop the test. Copy your results back here.

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 05 December 2006 - 06:47 AM.

Warden

Warden

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Thanks for the help. I was unable to get into the network router of the hotel I am currently staying in. I will keep trying different user/pass combos for the Motorola ethernet broadband router BR700 and let you know if I have any success getting in. If I do, I will follow the steps on your linked page post results. Thanks again for replying and helping out. Greatly appreciated.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

I was unable to get into the network router of the hotel I am currently staying in.

Wooah horsey :whistling: You will have to contact the Motels IT Tech for your problem. I cannot assist you any further, since your are not the administrator. Sorry.