Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maxtor External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

croberts001

croberts001

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Arighty whiz kidz, I offer you the challenge of the day::whistling:

The problem that lie below appears to be, from my unrelenting searching, an unfixable external HD issue:

I have a tablet pc that I inquired on this site back in August. Post can be found here: http://www.geekstogo...sult_type=posts

I also have a Dell Dimension 830 Desktop Computer, Pentium 4, 2.8 GHz CPU and 2 gb of RAM, running Win XP Home.

While I was running my Tablet (TPC) I was using my external HD that runs on USB 2 and connects to the computer through a USB port. I had it running (successfully, I might add for several days) on a 4-port USB hub. I believe I was running a wireless mouse, HD, Printer, and something else?? I unplugged the hub ( as I have done hundreds of times) and I got an error. I plugged the HD back in and I received a Code 10 error from Win.

This is the problem. I still get that error when plugging in my HD. I cannot access no matter what I do. It seems that Win is not recognizing it. It will show up under DM with a yellow ! on it telling me of the Code 10 error. I then plugged it into my desktop at home and the same thing. My wife’s computer; same thing. Here it remains, forever a "Code 10?" I am not convinced; however, acceptance of this fact looms in the distance. :blink:

I am no computer geek by any stretch (I have taught myself just enough to be dangerous!), but what I have attempted so far to no avail is the following:

--Going into device manger and deleting all USB entries :rofl:

--Going into the registry and deleting under USB related to that drive :rofl:

--I have removed the HD from its housing and ran it directly into my computer as a slave and every other setting known to HD’s :help:

--I have tried it in many computers---no

--I have tried it in various USB ports---no

--I have hooked it into a powered USB hub---no

--I have unplugged my computer from the main overnight ---o

--I have unplugged the HD from the USB and power ---no

--I have replaced the USB cable---no

AND, the HD is currently in my deepfreeze.....status, unknown as of yet. :help:

Other things:
I do not have an install disk.
I must, absolutely, without a doubt, retrieve the data.

Bon Appétit,
Chad

btw, if anyone has any suggestions regarding storage, preservation and saving data e.g. picture, movies, music, documents I would love to hear what you have done. Ironically, my brother had all his on a partitioned computer HD and lost everything, well, most of it was backed up on a carry-with-you external HD, which the other day fell off his desk onto one of the legs of his chair and broke. It is no longer accessible. He has a quote of $400-$800 to have the data retrieved. (We're in the wrong business fellas!) Again, what are we supposed to do?? Open a safe deposit box and save things on every kind of media known to man and drop it off daily?

I now digress, :lol:
Merry Christmas everyone. :)

Advertisements

bmwboy

bmwboy

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
As to pulling out the hub, I have had that damage several of my items, and can't recommend it. For backup, i reccommend http://www.carbonite.com/
Not sure about data recovery here, not an expert in that area...

--bmwboy

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Spinrite6 is a possible solution. http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
Simple fact is all hard drives are destined to fail at some time. Sad truth is some do it sooner than they should. It looks like you already tried all I can think of. Maybe Spinrite6 (at $89.00 downloaded) will help, maybe not. Data recovery is expensive, and it may not be possible after all that you put the hd through.