Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't system restore

• Please log in to reply

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ok, so, I need some help from you guys, and I know there's should be a way to do what I want easier than I know how.

Here's the deal:

I'm a college student, and today my windows would not start. It said i was missing a setup file, and told me which one, and I didn't write it down. I put in the disk my computer had me make, which after not working for a while eventually restored my computer to almost exactly the same way it was the day i brought it home from Frys. Riddled with ads, trial software, and almost nothing. I tried to run a system restore from here to get my old data back, but Windows basically chooses not to see that data.

Now the great thing is I still have access to all my old important files. Essays, other word documents, etc. But, Nothing seems to be installed. I know there should be restore points from yesterday (when my computer was working fine) but I can't get to them.

So, basically my question is: Is there a faster way to make my data as easily acessible as it once was (for instance, my "My Documents" folder had all my school documents, now I have to look under Documents And settings/Nick (the old user name)/ Nick's Documents to get to the old my documents) That to cut and paste the whole thing? I want to system restore if possible, but it won't let me.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Mr cool22322
The bad news is once you used that disk you wiped all your restore points.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Got your MS boot floppies handy? If not get them from MS and use them. You will need 6 diskettes. From a fresh boot, insert one at a time, and follow the prompts. This should get you back to the desktop, if nothing else is amiss. If not, get back to "us."

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hi Mr cool22322
The bad news is once you used that disk you wiped all your restore points.

I was afriad of that.

Oh well, I'll just do it the way old fashioned way.

mrcool22322

mrcool22322

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Got your MS boot floppies handy? If not get them from MS and use them. You will need 6 diskettes. From a fresh boot, insert one at a time, and follow the prompts. This should get you back to the desktop, if nothing else is amiss. If not, get back to "us."

I was able to get back to the desktop, but I just wanted to avoid doing more work to get back to where I was before yesterday. Oh well.