Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Does not recognize CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

entropy66

entropy66

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My girlfriends Ex left a bunch of components behind. No case. According to her, it was all running at some point, and he had decided to do a case mod, took it all out, and boxed it up. Now I have the task of putting it all back together. Typically, I'm just a web designer. But some people hear that you do anything with computers, they assume you can do everything.

Bought a case, and put it all back together best I could figure. And thats where the problems come in :-)

This is the motherboard...
http://www.chaintech...c.asp?PISNo=277

It's running an AMD Athlon XP 1300. The HD is a SATA drive (plugged into the motherboard). The Windows XP on the drive is very corrupt, and I want to reinstall it. Only now the system refuses to recognize either cd drive. Trying to run Add/Remove hardware does nothing, not even the add/remove screen. The Device manager shows nothing at all, empty.

The cd drives run when I boot the system, the lights flash, the drives will open if I want them to. Even when XP is running, they will open.

I have no documentation on the MB, and searching the web only finds more people looking for same.

The drive is plugged into IDE2. When I boot, it lists the IDE devices. For the CD drives, it shows jumbled garbage, different each boot.

Advice?

Also, I'd like to know how to set the system to have an IDE HD as a storage drive. I tried plugging that in already, and it used it as the boot drive, and I had no option of even seeing the SATA.

Thanks in advance...though I'm sure I'll have more questions before it's over :-D

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
More than likely your motherboard does not have the IDE drivers necessary to run the cdrom drives. this is the most likely drivers for your motherboard.

One problem is that the AUDIO drivers will not work so you need to find specific AUDIO drivers for that motherboard.

http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=868

SRX660