Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup problems

• Please log in to reply

Tickle

Tickle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have set up a system and booted it, the windows 98 page comes up and everything seems fine until the actual start page comes on, the display goes funny with lines horizontally on the screen. It looks like there is a grey box with blue header on the screen but I cannot read anything because of the picture.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me??

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
boot into safe mode, see if it recurs

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Can you please take a screen shot and post the Pix in a attachment or some way you could show it to us?

Thanks,
MR0624

eaglemike

eaglemike

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sounds like you need to update your video drivers.
Have you upgraded your OS or added a new card? If so, the videos drivers that are currently on your system may not be the proper ones to use.

Tickle

Tickle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Booted in safe mode and it started but kept stopping with a black screen until I pressed a button and then it would carry on for a couple of seconds and do it again.
When it finally started i checked the device manager and tere were 2 displays on there both the same, so I removed one and everything seemed fine, I have shut it down and restarted it a few times and it is starting to do the black screen thing again during startup :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Interesting....and in device manager, are their two displays again?