Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding new RAM problems.

• Please log in to reply

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

I recently tried to update a friends computers RAM, she did have two SD 133 64mb sticks installed and was running XP. V slowly!.

I got a SD 133 256mb stick and changed it dor one of the others. Went to boot, and although the machine booted it was excepionally slow. On check it told me it was running at 56mb of RAM? I tried this with the other stick and swopped the sticks slots round with no luck. I even tried the 256mb on its own, then the machine wouldnt boot at all. Im lost, can anyone help?

SHARP

Advertisements

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Shaun, cheers for the advice.

I have just done as you asked and run the spec check on crucial without too much success. It tells me that I have two SD 133 64meg sticks in there and the system mex capacity is 512. (should be fine with my 256). Thats about the end of useful info, it cant find the manufacturers names of recommmended upgrades. Does this help?

<Ashley>

SHARP_12345

SHARP_12345

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey Shaun,

The two memory sticks are identical in every way, I beginning to think I've been given a dud memory stick.

Ash