Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

product key problems

• Please log in to reply

nottobrite

nottobrite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I hope I'm posting this in the right place...

I formatted my older computer's hard drive,for the kids to use, and reinstalled windows 98 SE. Everything went fine, but I cannot find my product key numbers on the paperwork that originally came with the CD. Everytime I turn it on, it ask's for "user information" (i.e. name, company name) then liscense aggrement, then windows product key numbers. I reinstalled it already, and so its not on any other computer to pull the product key off of. Is there any way to get the product key from just the Windows 98 SE disc? Or can anyone help with clearing out the hard drive, without window's 98 being Completetly installed?
I know there are ways to get the product key from computers that are up and running...but in this case that is not do-able. I think (but am not positive) that "doing" something with the jumpers on the hard drive may possibly clear the hard drive so I could try again with another CD, but not sure where to begin.

Thanks,
Not to brite.

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Just get someone with a copy and a product key!! It will make things easier as you don't have to register it completely.

Or go and buy XP, and join the rest of the computing race!!!