Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display a drive/hiding others

• Please log in to reply

mel_lopez

mel_lopez

• Pip
  • 6 posts
We're running Windows 2003 and have a GP to hide all drives, which has worked well until now. We have had installed an application which needs to give access to a Network drive drive "x:\" for arguments sake!

I can see ways to hide particular blocks of drives and all or no drives, but I can't see a way to hide all drives EXCEPT "x:\".

Does anyone no of a way to do this or a utility that could do it for me?

Any suggestions please.

Thanks very much.

Regards,

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
See this Microsoft article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231289.

Another post I saw stated that the user could by-pass the GPO drive lockdown by using Disk Management or the Run box to get to those hidden drives. If that's the case, you could place a shortcut on the users' desktops that pointed to the network drive (for example \\servername\e drive).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
don't quote me on this...but i THINK the "hide drives" stuff only applies to local drives taht are actually connected...i could be very wrong here though...have you tried to map the drive and see if it get's hidden? also...just as a question...why are you hiding all the drives on a server?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
That may be true. Logically, if we're talking about hiding network drives, the user isn't going to see them unless they get mapped. If so, don't map the drives or only map those the user needs.

mel_lopez

mel_lopez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

Thanks for all your suggestions the answer was simpler than I thought. It turned out to be a simple case of binary calculation!

If anyone is curious to what/how to do this take a look at this link to Novell's "Cool Solutions"

http://www.novell.co...rench/3600.html

Helpful tips and more than enough information to answer any question on this topic.