Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Celeron D 3.2 CPU vs. Intel P4 3.0 with hyperthreading capability.

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I have an MSI Socket 775 mobo and the choice of either a Celeron D 3.2 CPU or an Intel P4 3.0 CPU with hyperthreading. I don't understand much about hyperthreading, so I would like to know which CPU is better in this instance. I do not do any serious number-crunching or anything like that - just average useage of my system. I am temporarily using 512 of ram, soon to go to 1024. Will the amount of ram make a difference towards the effectiveness of the CPUs? Please let me know which way to go to receive the best performance and stability of my machine. Thanks, and Happy Holidays to All!

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you are doing average computer work like surfing the net, office, mail, playing music, then Celeron D + 512 mb ram are enough for your needs and you don't need to spend on hardware whose benefits will be marginal, if at all. If, however, you run, or plan to run in the near future games, video editing and all sorts of heavy multi tasking then you should consider buying the P4 and extra ram.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
I think this topic should be moved to the hardware forum.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
emery, I'm sure you are right. My mistake on the original post. But, how do I move this topic to another forum? Thanx.

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Wait for a moderator (or ask one politely in a PM personal message) to come along and move the topic to the hardware forum.

Emery.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
it is fine that this topic is here, this is a question about upgrading a computer system is it not? and the title of this subforum? "System Building and Upgrading". So don't worry about it.

About your original question: The p4 is better than the Celeron. A celeron is just a "broken" version of a p4. they just lock the fsb into lower speeds and disable HT. although the celeron has a higher clock, clock speeds really don't mean anything these days. Go with the p4.

and upgrading your RAM will improve your system performance more than upgrading your processor.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thanks, stettybet0. I appreciate your advice. I will go with the P4 and go to 1024 of ram. That should give me all I need. Thanx, again.

By the way, I entered the original post in the software forum by mistake. By the time you read this topic, it had already been to this moved to this forum.

Edited by poppyal, 06 December 2006 - 04:52 PM.