Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

in need of a little modem help

• Please log in to reply

kh1+2

kh1+2

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ok ive got an old tiny pc which has only got windows 98 and about a year ago the internet connection on it just went. so i tried and tried to install different internet providers(wanadoo,bt,tiscali) but to no preveil so i got this new computer, but now seeing as im on geekstogo alot with my pl's i thought it would be a good idea to get the internet on the old computer up and running again but there is a problem even after i formatted the old computer no internet connections would work so i am assumimg its the modem broken but i havent got a clue of how to get the internet up and running again.

so im here asking the experts of the connection world of computers. and any help will be very much appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello kh1+2 and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

I need a little more information about your setup to try and get you squared away. Please answer the following questions, as best you can:

1. What Operating System do you have on all PC connected to the network, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example..XP SP1 or 2)?
2. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wired or Wireless Adapter's/Receiver's/ NIC's currently installed on all pc's, to be included in this network?
3. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Modem you are using? and is it Dial-up, DSL, or Cable?
4. What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Router, Switch, or Hub you are using?
5. What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic) you may have to contact your ISP to find out?
6. Are your PC's owned by you and do you have Administrator priveleges for them? Is your internet Connection owned by you as well?

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 05 December 2006 - 07:39 PM.

kh1+2

kh1+2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ok thanks space cowboy ill try to bare with you but im not the most intelligent person when it comes to the hardware/networking stuff so ill try to answer a few of the questions

ok the computer that is just laying dormant upstairs with the internet brokin doing nothing is windows 98.

and the computer was made by a computer company called tiny but i think they were bought out by dell.

when the old windows 98 computer is connected to the internet it is connected by a wire that comes out of the back of the computer which is then linked up to a wire that connects to a phone, so i think its a dial-up beccause you used to be able to hear a dial-tone from within the computer.

i dont think there is a network but i do have a wireless broadband connection for my new computer but that isnt connected to the old computer, its just for the new one

and i do own the computer and i do have administrator rights for the computer

i hope im making sense and i hope i have asked the question in the right forum?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
ok. Is there any specific reason why you are wanting the 98 Machine to be on dial up when you could have them both on broadband like the first one?

kh1+2

kh1+2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
well there is but, well let me explain since ive been in geek-u ive been reading alot on tools and infections so i thought that i would use the old windows 98 computer to get infected on and then try to rid of that infection as a sort of practice computer and i thought that if you use the same connection to download an infection that both computers would get infected.

i hope that makes sense

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
No, that doesn't happen unless you are sharing files.... and then only if you move an infected file from one pc to another and then execute it.

kh1+2

kh1+2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
right ok so if i use the same broadband connection for both computers the only computer getting harmed would be the windows 98.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Spacecowboy, please forgive me for butting in.

kh1+2, please give us any information you can on the model of the computer and any info you can find on the modem itself. If the modem is built-in the motherboard We will need info from Tiny to find out. It sounds like you don't have any drivers for the modem.

The UK's largest computer maker, which produces Tiny and Time PCs, went into administration and closed its 80 shops in 2005. But it looks like they are still a viable business as they still have a website still up.

What i cannot find is any support or downloads for these computers.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 08 December 2006 - 06:27 AM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

if i use the same broadband connection for both computers the only computer getting harmed would be the windows 98.

Yes and no... it would depend on how you setup the network. More to the point (for a router) Like This:

The answer would be NO...

There are no diferrences in the amount of malware or viruses a person could get while surfing the net on dial-up VS. broadband.

If the two pc's were networked... you can network just certain components of the pc's. IE... thier connectivity and thats it... both PC's can be connected to a router which in turn is connected to a broadband modem. Each PC has its own IP address on a seperate line from the router so they actually are located in different areas of the internet. If what could happen like your describing, then the G2G servers could pick up viruses from me surfing the internet at home.... such cannot happen because were are not the same machine... When the Xp machine makes a request to the world wide web for a webpage or ftp download or whatever the router would pass on that request and when the server or pc where the web page resides at, responds back... the router remembers where the request came from and then sends the replying server's web page back to the machine where the request origintated from (in this case the XP machine) and not just to both machines.

The answer would be maybee a YES, (in a ICS dual nic network) Like This:

Now if your Broadband Modem where connected via cat5 from the modem to the Xp machines nic and then the Xp had a second Nic that had cat5 exiting the second Nic going to a Nic on the 98 machine then that might be possible, since you are using the operating system of the XP machine as a router. I dont think you can get viruses or malware this way but I am not a 100% sure on that. Ill ask another Network guru to take alook on this scenerio and see if ti possible.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

There are no diferrences in the amount of malware or viruses a person could get while surfing the net on dial-up VS. broadband.

dissagreement:....but only because of two factors..#1 the sheer volume of info that you can transfer on broadband can give you more chances of getting infected #2 the size of the pipe (speed) will allow for faster downloads of malware...where as...(though this doesn't happen often) if a malware package is significantly larger...you might not be able to download it in the time that you're connected....but both are trivial..basically...you've got the same opportunity..

The answer would be maybee a YES, (in a ICS dual nic network) Like This:

Now if your Broadband Modem where connected via cat5 from the modem to the Xp machines nic and then the Xp had a second Nic that had cat5 exiting the second Nic going to a Nic on the 98 machine then that might be possible, since you are using the operating system of the XP machine as a router. I dont think you can get viruses or malware this way but I am not a 100% sure on that. Ill ask another Network guru to take alook on this scenerio and see if ti possible.

disagreement #2...i don't think that even in an ICS environment that the machine hosting the connection would get infected if the machine using the connection were to download malware...and here's why:

since the host machine is acting like a router...it NEVER executes any programs that are traveling across the wire (i.e. downloading malware)..it's just grabing that packet and passing it on to the next hop....IF the "router" (in the case of a dual nic ICS setup) were to execute software before passing it on...then people would be writing some very VERY serious viruses to completely destroy the internet by infecting every router attached to it (personal and commercial)...it just doesn't happen..

basically...in the absence of a TRUE file sharing network then malware/virii won't be transfered between machines...because no matter how it's done...code MUST be executed for it to cause any harm...and if the code isn't transfered between machines (or it's not executed by the "routing" machine) then there's nothing that could happen

that said...even in an ICS environment...it's in your best interest to have updated AV software, antimawlare software, and a good, well configured firewall on BOTH machines that are connected....it's just common sense

kh1+2

kh1+2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
so using the same broadband connection on both computers should only harm the computer im downloading the infection from

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
SHOULD...there's always a way for something to go horribly wrong....but in this case...you should be able to be reasonably (if not 100%) confident that only one machine would get infected through this setup...and in this case...that would be the one you're TRYING to get infected..

kh1+2

kh1+2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
ok thanks for the reply ill guess ill go with the shared connection.

thanks for the replies :whistling: