Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problems

• Please log in to reply

Adio

Adio

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I dont know if i have posted this in the right section, sorry if i havent...

I have recently had the internet set up in my room. I have it downstairs and in another room but...

Its not shared with a network or anything. I have a modem in each room and single cables that go into the phone line (having to unplug which ever line i do not wish to use)

This computer used to be my mums, but i got it given. It had problems before...
When ever it was connected to the internet, it would just cut out, and sometimes i would have to reset my computer or sometimes reconect, most of the time i have to reset because its like explorer jus dies on me n doesnt carry out any ending process actions.

Its been formatted and its clean from infections, malware etc

I dont know why it cuts out, sometimes its every 5 mins n some times every half hour.

But heres another thing, it only seems to cut out when im actively using the internet, when im away and i leave something to download, it can go for hours, infact it doesnt cut out at all.

I also find that my download speeds vary, im on 1.1meg n yet it takes forever to recieve... lets say a 1mb file on messenger.

I made some assumptions and thought that maybe im using to many applications which use the internet (i tend to have Firefox browser, Live messenger, WMP and Teamspeak open) n maybe thers an issue with over doin my bandwidth, i havent a clew but it only does on this computer, which is puzzling, is my computer over heating? :whistling:

pls can anyone help me its rather annoying, would be gr8 if i could someone could sort it

thnx...

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
By "cut out" do you mean powers off?

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
oh sorry i mean my internet cuts out..., i usually av t replug my modem in

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Dial-up or DSL? You might swap the modems around.

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
DSL, i tried switching modems

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
And did the problem stay with the modem or the PC?

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
it stayed with the PC, the laptop downstairs and the other PC are fine...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
How long ago did it have the malware problems? Is your AV updated and have you scanned recently?

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i havent had malware problems for ages, i keep my AV updated regulary and scan my comp once a week....

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Have you had the actual line tested for noise?

Advertisements

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
it definatly works, and i kno its nothing to do with the phone conflicting etc

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did the DSL provider send a tech to check the line? And you have a filter on the phone line? The jack isn't loose?

Edited by LindaGail, 05 December 2006 - 04:51 PM.

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
earlier in the year, a tech did come...

the filter is in an extension which goes into the phone line, then from the filter i have the rj 11 cable into modem, into computer...

chekd all connections, they all secure

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What if you move that computer to another location that doesn't have issues - just to completely rule out the DSL?

Adio

Adio

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
wel originally the computer was in my mums room, and there was a straight connection going into the phone line, and even then it stil did it, but bear in mind that it only seems to do it when im using the ful internets potential (downloading, uploading, using a few internet aplications etc)