Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

flyinmatt

flyinmatt

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm looking to upgrade a motherboard. Got a P4 system awhile back at Tigerdirect, its great, but comes with a small case. Also only has AGP slots, looking to put in a new PCIE graphics card. So I'd like to save $ on upgrading, using existing components. Have a decent PCIe graphics card (GeForce7600 PCIE), DVD burner, etc, but looking for the right motherboard..

info on chip is
ACPI\GENUINEINTEL X86 FAMILY 15 MODEL 2 Intel 3.06GHz 512/533 SL6NN..

a bit of google time seems to indicate that this is ?a 478 socket?

how do I find a motherboard that fits this WITH a PCIe slot? Thanks for any assistance!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Any p4 processor is a socket 775 processor. As for socket 775 mobos with a PCI-E slot... well a quick search on newegg shows that they have 120 socket 775 mobos with at least 1 PCI-E slot... Shouldn't be that much of a problem to find a mobo that fits your needs.

Edited by stettybet0, 05 December 2006 - 05:19 PM.

flyinmatt

flyinmatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Are you sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Socket_478

I'm not sure that this isnt a northwood chip.. hmm, continuing to look. Thanks for the help!

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'm looking to upgrade a motherboard. Got a P4 system awhile back at Tigerdirect, its great, but comes with a small case. Also only has AGP slots, looking to put in a new PCIE graphics card. So I'd like to save $ on upgrading, using existing components. Have a decent PCIe graphics card (GeForce7600 PCIE), DVD burner, etc, but looking for the right motherboard..

info on chip is
ACPI\GENUINEINTEL X86 FAMILY 15 MODEL 2 Intel 3.06GHz 512/533 SL6NN..

a bit of google time seems to indicate that this is ?a 478 socket?

how do I find a motherboard that fits this WITH a PCIe slot? Thanks for any assistance!

You have a socket 478 pentium 4. There is no socket 478 motherboard with pci express available. You have 2 choices. Stick with your current mobo and cpu then get a high end agp video card or get a new processor and motherboard combo that will support your current memory type aswell..

Any p4 processor is a socket 775 processor. As for socket 775 mobos with a PCI-E slot... well a quick search on newegg shows that they have 120 socket 775 mobos with at least 1 PCI-E slot... Shouldn't be that much of a problem to find a mobo that fits your needs.

This is not true Stettybet0. They made 3 socket types of pentium 4's.. socket 423, socket 478 and lga 775 which is the socket T.

flyinmatt

flyinmatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Excellent. Thanks for the help... looks like AGP its gonna be. Muchas Gracias

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Excellent. Thanks for the help... looks like AGP its gonna be. Muchas Gracias

welcome

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
-.- sorry for the misinformation.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Just as a aside for information, there was socket 478 motherboards with PCI-E made. Granted it only supports the pentium M, but still it is socket 478.

http://www.fadfusion...ber=10024001665

And then there is the ASRock P4 Dual-880Pro

n principle, the P4Dual-880Pro is a great idea, as it allows owners of Socket 478 CPUs access to modern graphics hardware. However, in practice, this doesn't quite work, as the P4Dual-880Pro lacks S-ATA II , a 16x PCI-E slot and crucial overclocking options.
SPECIFICATIONS:
Chipset: VIA PT880 Pro CPU support: Socket 478 Pentium 4 and Celeron processors with 533/800MHz FSB Memory support: 4 slots: max 3.5GB DDR (PC3200) Expansion slots: One AGP 8x slot, one 4x PCI-E slot, four PCI slots Sound: Realtek ALC850 with 8-channel support Networking: 10/100 Ethernet Overclocking: CPU clock 100 - 600MHz Ports: 2 x S-ATA, 2 x EIDE, floppy, 2 x PS/2, 8 x USB 2, LAN, 4 x surround audio out, line in, mic Dimensions (mm): 305 x 218

I know this does not help you in any way, flyinmatt.

SRX660

flyinmatt

flyinmatt

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks SRX - interesting to note.