Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP freezes and reboots itself when browsing

• Please log in to reply

Vishi

Vishi

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I need your guys mass mind to help me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Here is my problem:

I have WinXP, on BX Master MB, CPU at 500 Hz

When booting, all tests are normal, fans are spinning and system temperature is all OK. Then, when I try accessing programs, internet or just browsing through my computer, the system freezes and reboots itself in about 10 sec. Occasionally, it emits a beep before rebooting. I've changed the hard drive and the problem is still there, also checked my DIMMs, no improvement.

Thanks,
Vishi

PS I figured that my computer does not freeze/reboot untial I start browsing the web and my computer. The exact thing happens when I do this with another harddrive.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
my first inclination is heat or bad memory (including integrated memory).

Can you get into Event Viewer and see what messages, if any, are reported.

I would remove one memory stick, see if it repeats, then remove the other, and replace the first removed as a start

Vishi

Vishi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran the memory tests with Microsoft Diagnostics and they all were OK. I also booted the system with only one memory stick in a time but it behaved the same, i.e. freezing and rebooting. The event viewer gives me this:

AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0x4d1), which lies in the 0x4d0 - 0x4d1 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

But I don't if it's related to my current problems.

Vishi

Vishi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, thanks for helping! I uninstalled video driver and now the system does not freeze on me like before. However, when I try to reinstall the driver, it gives me a warning that NVIDIA (Microsoft Corporoartion!!!) has not passed the test Windows Logo test of compatability and that continue installing it will make the system unstalbe.

Also under system management, it says there is no Microsoft System Management BIOS driver installed. I am not sure if it's something that should be on XP setup CD?