Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows desktop problem

• Please log in to reply

loren2582

loren2582

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have windows XP

i had a background up, just your standard flower that comes installed, but all of a sudden my desktop turned blue and i can't change the picture at all. i can change it to another solid color, but i can't choose anything else.

I know how to do this normally (right click, properties, desktop, etc.), it's not that I don't know how to use my desktop control panel...but for some reason when i go into the are where you change the desktop picture, everything is greyed out except for a dropdown menu where you can change the color only.

any ideas?

sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Loren2582!

Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\wallpaperenable.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and once it's rebooted, try to change the wallpaper.

Fenor

loren2582

loren2582

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for responding so quickly.

nope, it didn't work. I'm worried that it might be related to my Norton...I'm not sure about that, but when i did a google search the only thing that came up that was similar may have had something to do with Norton. Could it be adware or malware?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Could be a security setting inside of Norton. Do you have Norton Internet Security installed or just the Antivirus part?

Fenor

loren2582

loren2582

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
as far as i can tell, just Norton AntiVirus.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to the following link and download the zip file. Once downloaded, extract the files and then double-click each of them to run them, clicking YES to similar warning like you did for the last file i had you download.

http://www.freecompu...oads/fixreg.zip

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 December 2006 - 06:25 PM.

loren2582

loren2582

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
YAY! it worked! Thank you VERY much. It wasn't so much troublesome as annoying, but sometimes annoying is worse.

Thank you again!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad I could help! :whistling:

Fenor