Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system repair problem

• Please log in to reply

markam

markam

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got an error that the system file is corrupt. So, used the method listed below:
http://support.micro...b;en-us;q307545

I was not sure if mine was an OEM-installed operating system. Now, when I try to restart my computer, it goes into an endless loop with the error message "lass.exe error,when trying to update a password, the return status indicates that the value provided is wrong.."

I then tried to perform a repair install. I am able to access the current installation and finish the repair successfully. But when I reboot, it is back to the same error that I get before.

The CD I am using to perform the repair install is "Operating System CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2, contains software and drivers already installed. For repair reinstallation and repair only"

I have a HP Pavilion (dv 4270US).

Questions:

1. Does my computer have an OEM-installed OS?

2. What are my options at this point. I would prefer to not have to reinstall everything. If there is no choice but to reinstall, is there any way I can recover my files using a linux disk and an external drive or any other method.

3. Is the disk I have sufficient to perform a Windows XP reinstall? Or do I have to buy a disk from somewhere?

Edited by markam, 05 December 2006 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Resolved? How?

markam

markam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I had to do a clean reinstall using the disk that came with my laptop (HP Pavilion). There was no prompt for a product key, but my laptop has a sticker on the bottom with the win xp product key.

Before I did anything, I physically disconnected the hard drive and used a USB enclosure to copy the files onto another machine.

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Great...happy to hear that you are up and running...unfortunate that you had to reformat, bummer :whistling:

Now visit this URL and download the prog to set up the boot disks for XP: http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q310994

It may save you a lot of work in the future.

Also, if you do not already have it...visit MS-XP site and request a mailed copy of the SP2 disk for just such an emergency...they are pretty fast at mailing things out... OR download a copy and save to disk

If you have a burner...save a copy of the setup files for all progs on it, and back up copies of your registry, documents and settings, etc. That way, if you have to reformat, everything important will be saved for reuse later...should you need or want it.

As you work...have a blank disk in the burner...and as you save a file to wherever, save a second copy to disk.