Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD Need Help!

• Please log in to reply

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, I tried booting windows normally. I got the error again. I am now at the recovery console and the same message is across the bottom of the screen.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm not sure if we're looking at a bad cd or a bad HDD... :whistling:

We're gonna need those floppy disks. 6 of them at least.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay.. I was actually about to go out. I will be back in 30-1hr.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Download the WinXP Startup Disk set for your installed operating system. If you have WinXP Home with Service Pack 2, get the download named Windows XP Home Edition SP2...each operating system will have it's own download link.

While on that page, read the instructions for creating this set...then go ahead and create the disks. Let me know when you have them ready.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ah and of course I make a mistake again. :whistling: I wasn't thinking at all when I said that this machine had a floppy drive. I immediatley thought of my brother saying something about it and I just automatically thought it does. Unfortunatley it doesn't. Are there any other options I have? I suppose I could do it at a friends house but are there any options other than that?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The startup disk set contains the same files as the cd...up to a point. It contains Recovery Console and everything we'd need to get into the setup for XP to do the repair install. Do you think you can get your hands on a retail cd of the same version you have installed.

I'm not so sure the cd isn't buggered somehow. It's either that or the HDD is bad. The floppies would allow us to determine which it is.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I wouldn't be able to get my hands on a retail version of it. I could probably get the six floppies ready here late tomorrow afternoon. My Boot CD has a few scratches on it, I think it's probably the CD :whistling: . So until I get the floppies there is really no other option ATM?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Nope...we've got to be able to get to the operating system to fix it. If your recovery cd is scratched, that may be the problem...let's hope so anyway.

At the moment, the floppies are the best bet.

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay man. I really appreciate your help tonight. The floppies will be ready tomorrow night, hopefully we can get this working :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm sure I'll be here somewhere... :whistling:

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
hey stewy

i see your quite busy but hes good wannabe1

sure hope your can recover

good luck :whistling:

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Okay, sorry I haven't checked back in a while guys. I've just been so busy. Anyway, turns out my friends floppy drive is broken aswell :whistling: . But, he said he'd be able to get me a retail version by thursday.

Before that though.. I'd like to inquire about the Physical Memory Dump thing. I think I interpreted rushin1nd's post about a PMD before incorrectly.. I would like to know HOW to initiate the Physical Memory Dump. :blink:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Are you running XP Home or Pro?

stewie167

stewie167

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Home.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I don't think you can do a dump using the keyboard in XP Home. It's a feature in Pro.

Which version cd are you going to have?