Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't write files to CD

• Please log in to reply

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yes, that's what I did and it says non-bootable disc

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Choose run to get Tune Up

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

If you do not have an XP CD and are unable to borrow one, run the scan, click skip if it asks for the CD, if it keeps asking, click cancel.

If it kept asking for the XP CD then system files are missing

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

If you still have errors writing to CD

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I'm trying this....
The error I am getting is:

"Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, windows must restore the original versions of these files.
Insert your Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD Now"

I don't have the Windows XP home edition Cd as it came preinstalled on my PC.
But...is Service Pack 2 not something I would have downloaded from the microsoft site? Without a disc?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you able to borrow an XP Home CD

If you click start, control panel, add and remove, tick show updates, scroll down to the bottom, and if windows xpsp2 is listed, you need an XP Home with SP1 CD

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
i guess I'm screwed -- I wouldn't know where to borrow such a CD - everyone I know that has XP got it with their PC.
I did look at the add/remove with show updates checked and I don't see the sp2 -- just a bunch of hotfixes and security updates....guess i was mistaken

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks for all your help and time :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can run the rest, chkdsk can help, as can tune up

You would need to find an XP Home with SP2 then

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
have you ever consider that malware may be an issue here

maybe a highjack log should be posted just a thought keith

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From Post 17

If you still have errors writing to CD

Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks Keith, I'll try all this.....I really do appreciate your help.....

Advertisements

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks to you too rushin1

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
at times when all is no good and solutions cant be found like in your case if its malware and then you can be fixed with new drivers and you wont lose your data your cd driver will work

out with the old in with the new

but then again you wont need new drivers just a good malware cleaning

Edited by rushin1nd, 06 December 2006 - 12:42 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Just talked to my husband, he said he got photo files to go to Cd using HP Memories Disc Creator - but that once he got the files onto the CD-RW and onto the other pc he couldn't delete them or move them or anything.
The problem arose BEFORE he used disc creator, so that wasn't the cause.

is it possible hes got an infected disk what type of virus program you have is it the same for both computers

im only speculating

Edited by rushin1nd, 06 December 2006 - 12:50 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

hopefully you have this resolved by now, however if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

tamaraha

tamaraha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
okay, I ran scans all day long and did everything in the remove malware post.
I am able to copy to cd now -- hopefully things are resolved now.
thanks for all your help

should i post a hijack this log also, or leave it unless i have other problems.

i did notice i have a Jammer2nd.exe file too --- I made it so its not running at startup (and it wasn't running at startup before all this) -- should i leave it, or is there a way for me to get rid of it?

thank you