Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal wireless card "gone"

• Please log in to reply

870dukr

870dukr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
[quote]I recently formatted my laptop computer, reloaded XP and found that I could not turn on my internal, wireless card. I have looked at my Device Manager, but really don't know what it would be called. Is it possible that I have a driver that did not load with my xp load? I have looked at all the disks that came with the computer, none are drivers for the computer.

My system:

HP pavilion zv5160us
Internal Wireless card(unknown brand)

I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello 870dukr and welcome to G2G, :whistling:

Please follow these steps:

1. Click on "Start"
2. Click on "Run"
3. Type in: devmgmt.msc and press OK
4. From the Device Manager window, Scroll down to "Network Adapters" and if there is "+" sign next to it then click on it, if there is a "-" sign next to it then proceed on and verify that there are no devices with a red X or yellow ! listed. Also verify that there are no other categories in the Device Manager with devices labelled "Network Controller" that have a red X or yellow ! , or just any other devices at all.
5. If there are please post a screenshot of your device manger, making sure the device that has the red X or yellow ! is visible in the screenshot.
6. Close out the Device manager.

If you are unsure how to post a screenshot please follow this tutorial on how to do it:

To post screen shots:

A. With the <window to be posted> on the top of all other windows
B. While holding down the ALT key press the PRINT SCREEN SYSRQ key on your Keyboard
C. Open Microsoft Paint (located in Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint)
D. When the program launches, on the Left toolbar click on the Square made of dashes
E. Now position your cursor (which has become a cross) out in the white area of the canvas
F. Right Click and select PASTE
G. This will put an image of the <window to be posted> on the canvas
H. Click the FILE button in the upper left section of the screen and select SAVE AS
I. In the Save As Box Put whatever you want in the Filename Box
J. In the Save As Type box: Click the drop down menu and select JPEG
K. In the Save In Box (Very Top): Select your desktop
L. Click the Save Button
M. Go back to your Web browser and post a reply. In the reply Page after the area where you enter your ......text there is a File Attachments area.
N. Click the Browse Button and navigate to the file we just saved on the desktop.
O. Select that file and click the Open Button
P. Click the ADD THIS ATTACHMENT BUITTON
Q. Then scroll down a little further and click the ADD FILE INTO POST button.
R. this will put some text into the post similar to this: [attachmentid:1234321
S. Repeat these Screenshot posting steps as many times as necessary to SHOW all the items requested

PS... Is there an external button that you have to slide on or press to activate the wireless as well?

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 06 December 2006 - 07:32 PM.