Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe / Dr. Watson error

• Please log in to reply

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello,

Please help me out. My computer is freezing and showing an error message that windows explorer encountered an error and needs to close and after this message it shows a Dr. Watson Postmortem Debugger error.

I have gone through an entire topic I found on geekstogo.com on how to fix this problem (Dr Watson Debugger) and I have also gone through the Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go here_ You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, and my computer still has the problem.

Also, I am unable to install two critical windows updates: KB919029 and KB921587.

Best Regards,

Guss

Edited by guss_vaccari, 06 December 2006 - 08:30 AM.

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
how about a little history on your computer

have you recently installed anything or did a download

try some of the basics for now

from start >>go to all programs>> accesseries >> system tools>>click disk cleaner

uncheck program files and run disk cleaner

from start >>go to all programs>> accesseries >> system tools>>click disk defragmenter and defrag

then clean your prefetch folder....from start>>run>>type in prefetch>>click ok>>then go to edit>>select

all>>on any blue file right click then delete

from start >>run>>type in or copy n paste this in the run box.. chkdsk /f /r..click ok>>a window will open

and type the letter y at the flashing white bar then restart computer

this will run for about an hour or two allow this to happen

is that the only warning you get

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Rushin1nd,

Thank you for your help.

I have recently downloaded programs and files according to the instructions provided such as spywares, malwares, antivirus, etc.

I did the disk cleaner and the prefetch procedures. I did not do the disk defrag because I had done it less than 2 days ago. (Do you think I should do it again???)

I did the chkdsk thing and restarted my computer (I had to actually turn it off manually and turn it back on because the restart command did not work). Anyway on the chkdsk start up it goes well from stage 1 through stage 3. On stage 4 it slowly goes up to 18% complete, freezes and restarts going through the chkdsk again. When it starts running again the same thing happens, on stage 4 it resarts by itself on 18%. I let that happen about 3 times and than I quit.

Regards.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*

I have gone through an entire topic I found on geekstogo.com on how to fix this problem (Dr Watson Debugger) and I have also gone through the Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go here_ You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, and my computer still has the problem.

after you completed the first part of the malware steps you shouldve posted a highjack log in the malware forum if your problems continued

other than dr watson debugger are there other problems your having ...pop-ups homepage being redirected

anything thats out of the ordinary

do you have your copy of xp cd for your computer

post a highjack log here............

http://www.geekstogo...a...amp;s=&f=37

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Dear Rushin1nd,

I was not sure what to do so I also attached the log to this message. I also attached a printscreen of the explorer error I get. I was not able to post the Dr Watson error because my computer froze before I could do it.

Tks

ps - I do NOT have a copy of my XP cd.

Attached Files

Edited by guss_vaccari, 06 December 2006 - 12:08 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
I'm leaning towards a toolbar or a Macromedia Flash that causing ie to crash i took the APPVER 6029002180

so im wondering if recently installed a flash player or did a flash player come with a program

and the same goes for a toolbar

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I think I did install a macromedia flash player recently, and a java software to be able to run an application (is this the same as a flash player?). I cannot remember recently installing a tool bar.

I have J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6 and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 9 installed and also Macromedia Flash Player 8. Also I recently installed Limewire (Do you think this is a problem?)

Edited by guss_vaccari, 06 December 2006 - 03:47 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
did you update Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.9>>>Java Runtime Environment 1.5.0.10
http://www.filehippo...d_java_runtime/

java is usually pretty good

if you remember which flash player remove it

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did update as you suggested.

In regards to the flash players I can't remember. Can you give me an example of what that would be a flash player (sorry for my lack of my knowledge)

Edited by guss_vaccari, 06 December 2006 - 04:07 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
Flash player is an add on for the browsers. Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab > Manage Add ons button

hope you find the one you installed

Advertisements

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have looked at my add-ons and could not really identify which flash players are installed or not.

Is there anyway I can send you a file so you can review it?

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
it doesnt tell the installs by date
that way you could try to remember the day you install the most previous one

you dont remember what you were doing at the time when this problem first happened

Edited by rushin1nd, 06 December 2006 - 06:49 PM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
use hijack to fix this

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft....k/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,AutoConfigURL = http://localhost:9100/proxy.pac

the one in bold is a web accelerator

the others tend hang ie and when on dialup you get disconnected more frequently...and you get more cannot display this page

web acceleratori believe thats causing your problems >>but it may have to be dealt with in the registry but we will check that out later

Edited by rushin1nd, 07 December 2006 - 09:02 AM.

guss_vaccari

guss_vaccari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
rushin1nd,

done as you asked.... i'm posting my new hjt log.

tks.

Attached Files

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
does i e still crash after web accelerator is gone