Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"...recovered from a serious error" after adding password

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
My father is running Windows XP with SP2 and all the latest updates. I've told him he should add a password to his XP User Account, so I logged into his computer using PCAnywhere, added the password, and rebooted.

When it reboots, the Welcome Screen comes up and allows me to enter his new password. Then the desktop comes up and starts loading the programs in the system tray, etc. and I get a message saying "Windows XP has recovered from a serious error." It gives me the option to send the report to Microsoft or not to. I opt not to, but the then the message comes back up. It seems to be stuck in an endless loop. Even when I reboot, I get the message again.

I went into his User Account, and took the password out, and then I don't have any problems. But when I add the password back, the same issues happen.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
maybe installation of windows is corrupted

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I did a fresh install on his system about 5 months ago. Except for a random reboot every week or two (which I suspect is related to his power supply), he hasn't had any problems.

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
u can try repairing ur windows
http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm