Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Transfer

• Please log in to reply

Lowie99

Lowie99

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi There,

I have an old Time machine which has seen its last days as I can no longer power it up. I have been meaning to replace it for years so have just ordered a new Dell Dimension 520which I should have this week.

I have most of the data backed up but have 2 hard drives in the old pc which I would like to get some data off and then format. Is there any way that i can do this without having to use the operating system? Its not worth me trying to salvage the machine.

Ideally I would like to house them in my new PC which would be fine and I dont need it to drive the system but just to get the static data. I am not sure whether this type of PC will accomodate them? Apparently there is also a way that I coud take the data off them by connecting to my New PC without having to house them internally.

Can anyone help?

Sorry for the lack of tech speak!!

Thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You could purchase a portable hard drive enclosure (or two) very inexpensively. It attaches via USB.

Lowie99

Lowie99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thats Perfect and answers my question!!

Thanks alot, appreciated!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You could also just install them as slaves to the new hard drive. You could then move any data from the drive to your new drive. After taking all data you want and copying it over to the new drive just take the old drive back out of the computer. Doing each drive separately you just use windows explore to copy and paste everything you want. The operating system, on the slaved drive, will not start up if the drive is made slave to your main HD. Set the jumpers to slave in the back of the old drive. I don't even bother attaching the old drive to the new case but just lay the drive in the bottom of the case with only the data cable and the power cable attached. After transferring all data i shut the computer down and disconnect the old drive and take it back out.

SRX660

Lowie99

Lowie99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good idea,

I will do this as I didn't think about quickly connecting and transferring without having to house the drives.

Thanks for the tips and for your time.