Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2051: System CMOS checksum bad

• Please log in to reply

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
guys,

this morning my computer booted ok until I got an avg messege that it caught some virus and it asked me to rebooted the comp for the virus to be successfully removed. i did just that and it went to reboot but wasn't successful. It kept rebooting itself in the bios and never got to the normal xp screen. I removed the battery (laptop), and tried to restart again, it threw this '2051: System CMOS checksum bad"as well as other errors. I really don't know if this is virus related or bios got corrupted. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Advertisements

javarunner

javarunner

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You should not have re-booted. Instead you should have removed the virus, if that is what it was, with an anti-virus program. In any case, reboot in SAFE MODE, if your corrupted BIOS can get you that far.

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I removed it with avg anti virus and then it asked me to reboot the comp to finish virus removal

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
probably the virus is gone but bibs and bobs remain, so here is a link with steps, if after the step you still feel that something is amiss the link will tell what to do too

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

removed the battery (laptop), and tried to restart again, it threw this '2051: System CMOS checksum bad"as well as other errors.

can you get us the "other errors"?

CMOS checksum error is usually related to the sytem time being wrong in bios...which is generally related to removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard...or if that battery is dead....you didn't say that you removed this battery...so it may be dead...

can you boot into bios on bootup? if you can...try resetting the system time and make sure that it's as close to accurate as you can....then find the option for "load failsafe defaults" or "load defaults" in bios and use that option to put the bios settings back to defaults...

does the system boot now?

Kzayaz

Kzayaz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
hi guys,

here's an update: there was harwardware failure, something to do with the video card. I had to bring my laptop to my friend who figure it out. I'm not really a tech person, so this is what I could make out form what he told me: because the fan in the laptop is located on the bottom and because the laptop is always on the table there is no room for hot air to come out and this caused this thing to overheat and break hardware that has to do with video controllers (I think), anyway, my friend removed all of the fancy VGA controllers and everything seems to be fine, although not too fast. My friend also told me to consider buying another computer, since this one still maybe on its last leg. Thanks for your help......