Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade to 2007?

• Please log in to reply

Orbison

Orbison

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hello everyone... Would you guys recommend upgrading to Office 2007 from 2003? What are the Pros and Cons between Office 2003 & 2007? Thanks :whistling:

P.S. - I am a student

Edited by RustedBass, 06 December 2006 - 07:54 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Ok, i bought Office 97, and then 3 year's later i bought Office 2000, and again 3 year's later i bought Office 2003. I refuse to buy Office 2007 simply because it has a few little tweaks. It is not worth the price anymore.

Just like i refuse to use the new Adobe Acrobat and have switched to Fox-it, i am now trying out different free Office alternatives. Other than that i will keep using Office 2000 and 2003. I have no need for the special little new widgets in Office's "Latest Version because it's available".

SRX660

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Upgradin jus now is not a good idea coz MS Office 2007 uses new formats like docx which are not compatiable with older versions . So documetns created with 2007 will not run on 2003 or older versions . So better stay with 2003 for now

But 2007 has a completely new interface and lot of improvements . Upgrade when it will commonly used and dont go for Open Office or any other open source MS office alternative

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've already upgraded, there aren't many new features, but it is very nice graphically - I'll post some screenshots if you like.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I upgraded and found it much easier to use and easier on the eyes than previous versions, its much easier to find things when you cant remember that odd function you occasionally need and really helps you find and use all those little things youve never used before but make life a little easier. I like it when i use windows i would use it rather tha OO and i switched to open office when 2003 came out and then went back to office, i never saw the point of upgrading every three years between 2000 and open office i was set so 2007 is a big improvement to me.

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Upgradin jus now is not a good idea coz MS Office 2007 uses new formats like docx which are not compatiable with older versions . So documetns created with 2007 will not run on 2003 or older versions . So better stay with 2003 for now

But 2007 has a completely new interface and lot of improvements . Upgrade when it will commonly used and dont go for Open Office or any other open source MS office alternative

This scares me...

Thanks for all your responses guys!

I think i am going to hold off because of the message i quoted above :whistling:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
It will run with Office 2003, he just obviously hasn't read.

Posted Image

officialblueboys

officialblueboys

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
oh sorry my mistake . Well technically what I said was correct that docx and other formats will not be supported by previous versions

I didnt know that feature

Again I'm sorry

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Heh, make sure you look next time though. Did you think microsoft would not allow backwards compatabilities?

Merry Christmas - have a goodun :whistling:

Edited by SuperSam, 24 December 2006 - 06:29 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah its all backwards compatible and you select the document format when you save the option for 2003 .doc version is quite clear and i expect what most people use i know its my default format for 2007.

hornet_hockey

hornet_hockey

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

It will run with Office 2003, he just obviously hasn't read.

Posted Image

That looks cool, I'd do it if I had the money, but I dont
BTW what are the free office alternatives you talk about?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
One is Sun Star Office, free at the moment

Register

Download Sun Star Office