Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound and Video Problems

• Please log in to reply

Mucky

Mucky

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi I hope someone might be able to help me out with this problem.

All of my sounds and video has become distorted in Windows XP. The start up chimes, msn alerts, DVD video, mp3's, everything except the log off chimes and the Direct X troubleshootng test sounds seem to be affected.

The distortion is a mixture between a chopping like a scratched record and a lag in windows media player and the general windows sounds. When playing mp3's through Itunes the distortion emmediately appears to be less, but then becomes a lagging echo (especially if I touch the volume slider). It actually sounds exactly like the bridge in the Fat Boy Slim song "Rockafella Skank (Right about now, Funk soul brother?)".

The symptoms appeared after a low disk space warning appeared and I began to burn off some data. I hadn't closed MSN and the online alerts had the lagging sound which I ignored assuming it was because of the resources the burner was using. However, after I was finished, deleted some files, and ran a defrag retrieving 20 gigs of space the msn sound problems had spread to everything.

I tried following the advice left in other sound related threads of updating the audio drivers, and checking for any red flags (or exclaimation marks) in the audio devices list, uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, but nothing has made any difference so far. I haven't gotten to trying to update video codecs yet because I don't see why they would have an effect upon the windows chimes.

I went through the malware detection process in the hijak this step guide and have all of that log information if necessary. But as far as I know (which is only as far as the small lists tell me) it only came up with various cookies. I do have all of the logs though.

So thats my "help please!" rant. If you do take up my cause and find my responses sporadic it's because I'm currently living in Korea, so my time zones a little off.

Thanks

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
ok

so how much space in % were talking here

are there programs in add/remove that you dont need

folders associated with those programs

can you update your drivers try to do it this way

from start>>control panel>>system>>hardware>>device manager>>right click on sounds audio video

on all or any driver right click and click update

they will look like little speakers or horns

another thing you can do is

start>>all programs>>accesseries>>system tools>>disk cleaner>>run that

then start >>run>>type prefetch>>click ok>>edit>>select all>>on any blue file right click and delete

try this..for a cleaner

http://www.atribune..../click.php?id=1

try to do that post back here

your in geeks2go chambers your torture till your computers fixed

Edited by rushin1nd, 06 December 2006 - 10:54 PM.

Mucky

Mucky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
At the time I was down to maybe 1% of a 40 gig partition. This may be my own negligence, but I found this really strange because it popped up over night and I was not downloading anything. I cleaned up excessive files and ran a defrag immediately afterwards and ended up with 20 gigs of free space.

I ran through the steps you recommended. All of the drivers were up to date, I ran "disk cleanup" which freed about 10 megs, deleted the prefetch files, and ran atf cleaner. Unfortunately there is no change.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
whats your model of your computer

and the make of your computer

for instances mine is a

MAKE>>HP PAVILLION

MODEL>>a1132n

there maybe a upgrade for your drivers

Mucky

Mucky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It's an Acer Aspire 9400 laptop.

Edited by Mucky, 07 December 2006 - 08:14 AM.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
http://www.acerpanam...r...s=&areaid=7

try that

Mucky

Mucky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No such luck.