Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP System CPU usage 100%

• Please log in to reply

AlEx123qwe123qwe

AlEx123qwe123qwe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How is everyone doing tonight ? :whistling:

When my computer boot up the CPU usage is at 100% and will not go down .
In safe mode the cpu usage is very good with no problems.
I have Ad-aware , AVG , ZoneAlarm, and Xoftspy installed all updated, but I am not able to resolve this problem. Can anyonbody tell me where to start ?

Advertisements

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
what other programs you have at start up

start>>run>>msconfig>>under the start up tab disable everything but your antivirus and security

see if thats solve problem

if it does not then start each program one at a time but reboot when you check one

if its not a start problem we will try some thing else

Edited by rushin1nd, 06 December 2006 - 11:15 PM.

graphmaster

graphmaster

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same problem. My System process (not System Idle Process) is eating up to 65% of the CPU off and on every few seconds. I just loaded Windows XP on a new hard drive. I tried System restore to two days ago when I did not have this problem, but no luck. I also ran msconfig and disabled all of the startup options and all of the programs that are not Microsoft related. I rebooted and still it is doing it. I can't end the process because it is critical.

Any ideas? I am running the Windows update now in the hopes that will correct the problem. But how can I track down as to why the System process is hogging the CPU.

I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor. It was working fine for 1 year now. I got a new hard drive and loaded windows on that. It has been working for one week - then today I ran into this problem.

So, I would appreciate any ideas to stop this nuisance.
Juliana