Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

images on web pages

• Please log in to reply

knowslittle

knowslittle

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
On some of the web pages, I can't get the images to load...I am wondering if there is some safe, free software that will help will all pdf, jig, tiff, etc....I switched to paint in tiff but I don't know that will take care of all other types...any advice?
Thank you a lot!
[size=3]

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at this Microsoft article for troubleshooting tips: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807.

If this doesn't help, post back and include operating system and browser.

I am wondering if there is some safe, free software that will help will all pdf, jig, tiff, etc....I switched to paint in tiff but I don't know that will take care of all other types...any advice?
Thank you a lot!
[size=3]

I'm not clear on what you mean by this. Are you looking for a freeware graphics program?

knowslittle

knowslittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, and thanks for reply...
My husband was looking at boats on the web.....some of the images were just squares with a little "x" in the corner....should I free up more space or how can I get them open....a program I checked to open was "paint" and I was wondering what might be better....yea, probably some graphic software...but I really don't know..
Thanks!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I use XnView. You can download it here: http://perso.orange....endownload.html.

However, installing a new graphics viewer isn't really going to fix the problem of red x's on the web pages.

From the Microsoft article I referred you to:
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if one of the following conditions is true:
• The Web page includes an image type that is not supported by Microsoft Internet Explorer or by Windows Internet Explorer.
• The Show Pictures check box is not selected on the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog box, or the Toggle Images.exe Web accessory was used to disable images in Internet Explorer.
• The image is displayed based on a script, ActiveX control, cookie, Java applet, or HTTP referral information, and your computer or network is configured to block one or more of these features. For example, you may have Internet Explorer or Symantec Corporation's Norton Internet Security (NIS) or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF) 2002 configured to block one or more of these features.
• Internet Explorer cannot determine the character set (also called code page or encoding) that is used by the Web page, or a file or registry key required to display the Web page with the appropriate character set may be missing or damaged. By default, Internet Explorer uses the character set that is specified in the HTTP content type that is returned by the server, the character set specified by the meta element in the Web page document, or your Encoding preference if no HTTP content type is returned by the server and no meta element is specified in the Web page document.

Please take some time to go through that article and ensure that all your settings are correct.

What is the hard drive size and free space? (open My Computer)
How much RAM do you have? (right click My Computer, Properties, General tab)
What is the Operating System and Browser? (for OS, right click My Computer, Properties, General tab; for browser, open your browser, click Help, About...)

Have you always had this problem or has it started recently? If recently, has anything unusual happened to the computer that might have caused it?

knowslittle

knowslittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi and thanks for the software link!! Great! Just got this thing set up and haven't been working w/computers for about 3 years..kinda out of the loop but catching up. The guy that built it said I needed to open some memory and pretty much what you advised...so, I am getting better quality images on the ones that do come through...really,
thank you very much for your time and expertise!
Berni