Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can i hook a wired router to a wireless network?

• Please log in to reply

elfwad

elfwad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm moving to a property that has a wireless network. There's a main house and two cottages. The wireless internet connection is in the main house. I'll have my wired lan in one of the cottages. How can i hook my wired router and lan to it so i can have internet access? Is there some sort of appliance that will interface with both my wired router and the wireless internet connection? My router is a NetGear FR-114P and i have 3 computers on it. Thanks.

Advertisements

Spike3

Spike3

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
Depends on the system, the belkin one we have at work does have room for a network cable, however getting to work is another task!

S.Dizzle

S.Dizzle

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I believe what you need is a wireless access point. You can then bridge your networks, and connect you wired computers to the access point, which will pick up the wireless router's signal in the main house. Either that, or buy wireless cards for your computers to connect to the wireless router. If you only have 1 computer, I'd buy a wireless card if I were you. However, if you want to run three computers on your network and none of them have a wireless card, it would probably be cheaper to wire them to an access point. Here's a link to a network map to see where everything fits in.
S.

elfwad

elfwad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, S.

I looked at access points and someone said that wasn't the right thing. I've been told i need a wireless ethernet bridge. Does that jive with your knowledge?

elf

S.Dizzle

S.Dizzle

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just took a look at ethernet bridges, and it looks to me as if you can only connect 1 computer to an ethernet bridge. You want to connect 3 computers, no?

elfwad

elfwad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd be connecting my wired router to the bridge.

neilp4453

neilp4453

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
it might be easier to just get a new router that supports wireless and integrated ports. belkin has that and so do other routers. check out best buy and those nice huge retail stores. they have routers like that for 9.99-19.99 on sale.

dmermal

dmermal

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, if you wanted to you could throw a wireless card into one of the computers on your wired computer and set that machine up to share the internet connection among the PCs on that lan. Otherwise, if you have a normal 4 port wireless router hooked up to your internet connection in the main house and a normal wired router in the other cottage, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just run a wire from the wireless router to the wired one, should work just fine. Now, depending on your network and whether you have a static addressing scheme or a DHCP server you'd have to make sure they're set up right. Most wireless routers that I've used have the option of running DHCP, so you could use your router as your DHCP server for the whole network to ensure that all PCs are given the right settings to connect up to the internet.

Derek