Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please save me from destruction! First time self upgrader!

• Please log in to reply

theotherdangles

theotherdangles

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have recently inherited a pants pc, but due to xmas and other commitments money is tight so i will take whatever i could get after i smashed my laptop, but hey thats another story.

The jurassic period pc i have inherited has a 2gb hard drive which i am changing at the mo and an amd athlon processor k7700mtr51b. (picture is attached)

I am atempting to upgrade the processor but it is the one in the sealed box.

I am wondering can i get into the unit to change the procesor, or what if any is the best option?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Much Obliged

Dan

Attached Thumbnails

• athlon.jpg

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Dag Gone, its been a long time since i've seen a AMD slot A processor. I have a 650 lying around here somewhere but i doubt i could find it in all my junk. About the best you can do is at the starmicro store. The only problem with them is they have a lot of NOT GOOD reviews. Caveat Emptor

http://www.starmicro...ail.aspx?ID=434

The shipping will probably cost more than the CPU and it really is not worth upgrading any other parts. The computer would be regaled to internet surfing if it was mine as it's just not powerful enough for much else.
Have fun playing with it.

SRX660

theotherdangles

theotherdangles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have seen a slot 1 to 370 converter on ebay. Is it worth using one of these?

What is the the best 370 cpu still on the market?

Ps as i haven't upgraded a pc before it took me half an hour to work out that brick was the processor, there was me looking for a little chip and ended up having to extract that!

Pps thanks for your help!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You cannot use a Slot1 to 370 converter on AMD processors. The pins are different on the processors. The adapter is for Intel CPU's.

By the time you did upgrade this computer it would have been cheaper to just buy a motherboard/cpu combo.

http://www.tigerdire...ku=MBM-P23G-351

This would be a good start on a computer build and all the parts you would use on your old AMD computer wil fit except the memory.

SRX660

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That computer is really old, they havent made a CPU compatible with that for a alot of years. I wouldnt try upgrading that there is a certain cut off where it gets so old the parts are just to hard to source and cost too much for what they are, you would be better starting fresh, it would cost you very little for a newer whole system thats infinitely better than that PC.

theotherdangles

theotherdangles

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Cheers for all your help folks!

Much Obliged

Dan