Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't start

• Please log in to reply

Steph_M

Steph_M

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Okay, my computer was working fine or so I thought. I opened nero 7 to copy some file to disk right when I open it i got a virus pop-up from AVG (free) and I cleaned it or whatever then my computer restarted on its own, and the blue screen came up. I restarted again and went to go into safe mode and picked the option that said run computer from last know working .. whatever. then it went to restart again and everytime it gets to the windows loading screen it restarts again. I cant boot in same mode, I cant boot up in any mode. Ive tried to do a repair with my windows xp cd and it keeps asking for a windows admin password and when i try to put in my password that i use to log on to my desktop it tells me its wrong. is there a different password? I really dont wanny lose my stuff.... any ideas on anything i can try? Thank you, Stephanie

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, the install routine is asking for the password for the local Administrator account - it gets set up when you first install Windows. Try leaving it blank and pressing enter - maybe you didn't set up a password.

Steph_M

Steph_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
yeah I havent ever picked any password other then my desktop one. I hope that works. thank you. do you think a repair will even work though?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Couldn't hurt.