Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Some help on my system?

• Please log in to reply

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi there guys!

not to sure if this is the right spot eather sorry

this will be my first but not last post i came across this site a while back i have been reading a whole bunch taking in information.

Now lets get to the good stuff eh? Well i would never call my self a noob to computers but im not a champ eather so much mor i can learn. im 18 been doing this stuff since about 13 screwing with computers. i recently got a job as a co-op for computer tech trying to fallow my dream. going to college for computer science

well i have built a decent amount of computers im having some troubles im not getting the performace i thought id be getting with my set up. any suggestions. here is my set up

MB: asus socket 939 A8N-SLI
Processor: AMD 4200
Graphics Card: gforce 7800 gtx 256mb
memory: 1 gig kingston stick 184 pin <===== old mem i know
HDD: 200 gb WD 7200rpm but not sata
monitor: 20" widescreen HD 1080p
in a full tower case and 11 fans

it just seems to be a little sluggish at times like load times and FPS kinda drops alot

i guess my question is what should i do i know its a decent build :whistling:

Advertisements

silencer.dot

silencer.dot

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
u should really upgrade the ram to ddr2... everything else is decend.

u can try cosair value ram, ocz value ram etc. there not expensive and do a good job.

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

u should really upgrade the ram to ddr2... everything else is decend.

u can try cosair value ram, ocz value ram etc. there not expensive and do a good job.

really you think it would help boost the random slow downs?? and could you possibly send a link my way to where i can purchase 2 gigs of it

o and thanks for the help to any one that helps out on my issue

Edited by SLI-Owns You, 07 December 2006 - 12:36 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
How big is your power supply?

With 11 fans, a large hard drive, the fan for the processor you could possibly overtax your system resources and as the power is diverted as need you get a periodical slowdown.

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

How big is your power supply?

With 11 fans, a large hard drive, the fan for the processor you could possibly overtax your system resources and as the power is diverted as need you get a periodical slowdown.

im going to have to go with a 600 watt??? becuase i know the graphics card calls for a 450 min and thats what the case came with so somthing like 600 watt i belive

o and it also beeps once on start up and im pretty sure that means everything checked out ok.

Edited by SLI-Owns You, 07 December 2006 - 01:08 PM.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
That "beep" is the POST test (Power On Self Test).

It is a good sign if the POST passes, but even if it does there are still plenty of places for problems to occur beyond the POST.

If your PSU is indeed 600W you should be in ok shape, barring a faulty PSU. You might also verify your power connection is adequate (if you are hooked to a power strip is a cheap Wal Mart strip or a powered, surge protected strip?).

Lot's of variables...

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

That "beep" is the POST test (Power On Self Test).

It is a good sign if the POST passes, but even if it does there are still plenty of places for problems to occur beyond the POST.

If your PSU is indeed 600W you should be in ok shape, barring a faulty PSU. You might also verify your power connection is adequate (if you are hooked to a power strip is a cheap Wal Mart strip or a powered, surge protected strip?).

Lot's of variables...

well i know this isnt good but its connected stright into the wall lol =( i still havent bought an apc power supply surge thing. bought on the gforce 7800 gtx there is 2 power input connectors for power only one of them is connected should i connect both to the power supply?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would upgrade the ram but not to DDR2 your motherboard doesnt support that.

If your monitor uses 1080p resolutions, then if your running things at that resolution that cold cause a slow down its a very high resolution, although ive never seen a monitor in 20" that could output at that resolution at least not one that costs less than your entire system and then some.

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I would upgrade the ram but not to DDR2 your motherboard doesnt support that.

If your monitor uses 1080p resolutions, then if your running things at that resolution that cold cause a slow down its a very high resolution, although ive never seen a monitor in 20" that could output at that resolution at least not one that costs less than your entire system and then some.

and i would call it more of a tv thena monitor lol i play my 360 in 1080p
its not in that setting though ya i know im kinda pissed that my MB doesnt support ddr2 but if i were to buy a new MB then my proccessor is no good and if i upgrade the MB then i must upgrade the graphics card and if i upgrade that then i need a dual core lol pretty much buyin a new system.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Random slowdowns and drops in FPS would lead me to believe it's either an underpowered PSU, or a heat issue. Look in your case and check your PSU to see what brand and output it is rated at. If you're still using the case that came with the fan, then it is probably a low-quality PSU and you're not actually getting anywhere near 450W of power output.

Download speedfan and run it. Check and see what type of temps you are getting when you're seeing the stuttering. 11 case fans seems slightly excessive, but all of that air may not be getting to your vid card or CPU, which could actually be overheating.

Advertisements

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Random slowdowns and drops in FPS would lead me to believe it's either an underpowered PSU, or a heat issue. Look in your case and check your PSU to see what brand and output it is rated at. If you're still using the case that came with the fan, then it is probably a low-quality PSU and you're not actually getting anywhere near 450W of power output.

Download speedfan and run it. Check and see what type of temps you are getting when you're seeing the stuttering. 11 case fans seems slightly excessive, but all of that air may not be getting to your vid card or CPU, which could actually be overheating.

right i dont think 3 of them are pluged in i have one big fan i cut a hole in the side of the case right next to the graphics car to draw away heat and 3 fans on the back of the comp to pulling air out and one pulling in cool air. and i have 2 in the front going over and uner my HDD and 2 on the actuall power supply ok so i lied i only have 10 fans i custom fabed the 4 fans into the sides of the case.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Your monitor most likely wont be 1080p my friend had this dilema, tech savvy guy but he couldnt get it, the TV he had bought was 720p but the xbox said it was outputting 1080 which it was but 720s also have decoders for 1080 and they scale the image back down to 720p. 1080p would cripple your PC for most games its considered a very high resolution and on DX9 its the reason dual gfx card systems were developed.

More fans also arent always a good thing you can cause insuffient flow over the heat sinks and internal fans if the airflow is too high and fast.

I would only have maybe one or two at the back going out(only one if its a 120mm, and one going in at the front, see what your temps and stability is like. Really the most i would have is one at the front going in, one in the back going out and maybe one in the side. Also you shouldnt have fans going in and out on the same side of the case, what should happen is cool air goes in one end and hot out the other, youll find if you follow that basic principle you dont need to many fans.

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Your monitor most likely wont be 1080p my friend had this dilema, tech savvy guy but he couldnt get it, the TV he had bought was 720p but the xbox said it was outputting 1080 which it was but 720s also have decoders for 1080 and they scale the image back down to 720p. 1080p would cripple your PC for most games its considered a very high resolution and on DX9 its the reason dual gfx card systems were developed.

More fans also arent always a good thing you can cause insuffient flow over the heat sinks and internal fans if the airflow is too high and fast.

I would only have maybe one or two at the back going out(only one if its a 120mm, and one going in at the front, see what your temps and stability is like. Really the most i would have is one at the front going in, one in the back going out and maybe one in the side. Also you shouldnt have fans going in and out on the same side of the case, what should happen is cool air goes in one end and hot out the other, youll find if you follow that basic principle you dont need to many fans.

true ture im not argueing with it coming out to being 1080 just going off of what i have read and what not im still at work ill disable 1 of the back ones and one of the front ones and see what happens. but if i were to purchase better ram what would u suggest i know that 184 pin suck i really shouldnt of bought the 939 socket im really kicking myself over that

SLI-Owns You

SLI-Owns You

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
and also if i were to purchase new mem
Corsair XMS 2GB PC3200 DDR DIMM Memory Kit
(MPN: TWINX20483200C2PT)
Rebates & Special Offers: $40 Merchant Restricted Rebate available
Description: The TWINX2048-3200C2 is a pair of 1024 MByte DDR SDRAM DIMMs designed for extreme speed are someof the fastest 1 GByte modules available. TWINX matched memory pairs are specifically designed for motherboardsusing chipsets with dual memory c.... Read More
Description: The TWINX2048-3200C2 is a pair of 1024 MByte DDR SDRAM DIMMs designed for extreme speed are someof the fastest 1 GByte modules available. TWINX matched memory pairs are specifically designed for motherboardsusing chipsets with dual memory channels. This part delivers outstanding performance at high clock speeds. It hasbeen tested extensively in a variety of motherboards commonly used in gaming rigs. This memory has been verifiedto operate at 200 MHz (DDR400) at aggressive latencies of 2-3-3-6. This module is also available as a singlemodule

would i notice a big diffrence over my old kingston sticks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah there should be a noticable difference. The difference between DDR1 and 2 is really tiny, its a price saving thing more than anything else, DDR was always good with AMD hard to improve on, DDR1 wasnt as good with intel but AMDs memory controller was so good it took advantage of lower timings that intel couldnt so they went for DDR2 with the better memory bandwidth, AMd went with DDR2 eventually primarily because if price its cheaper to manufacture than DDR they gained pretty much 0 performance over 939 systems from switching to DDR2 memory.

I would check out the temps first before buying anything unless you were planning on it allready.