Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Folder Option

• Please log in to reply

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi,

I have HP Pavilion DV1615 Notebook and have Windows HP Home Service Pack 2 intalled.

Since past few months i am facing very strange problem.

Whenever i try opening any Drive / Folder from MYCOMPUTER, it opens that folder in new window altogether. I have tried all possible options available in FOLDER OPTION but in vain.

Can someone help me on this

Cheers..... :whistling:
Ashu

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Just to clarify: you've opened My Computer, Tools, Options, General Tab, and checked "Open Each Folder in the Same Window"?

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Linda

thanks for replying...

Have tried all possible options..

This prob seems to be unique one...

Cheers!!!!!!!
Ashu

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Post removed. Please see Post #8 in this topic for the solution that worked for this situation.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 07 December 2006 - 09:40 PM.

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Fenor,

Thanks a ton...

I have tried this option also earlier, however this does not work..

Let me tell u some history of this issue, may be you can help me with the help of this.

I had earlier installed ACDSEE s/w on my sys. What used to happen is, whenever i used to open on any Drive / Folder it used to get opened in ACDSEE EXPLORER instea of windows Explorer.

That time i had gone to CONTROL PANEL / FOLDER OPTION / FILE TYPES / ADVANCE and created "new" options like Explore, Open by selecting windows applications like "explorer"

However it just added 2-3 more options in my RIGHT CLICK DROP DOWN MENU but none of them worked as required.. it started opening windows in seperate process.

I uninstalled ACDSEE, but that also didnt work..

I hope this history may be of some use..

pls help

cheers!!!!!
Ashu

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would undo all the changes you have tried, then reboot your computer, then run the reg file again and reboot and see what happens.

Fenor

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Fenor

i can not delete those new options which i created.. how would i undo?

do you know any method of deleting the options available in "RIGHT CLICK DROP DOWN MENU"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Think I found the solution:

Please right click the following two files, ONE and TWO, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save them somewhere on your computer where you will remember where they are located. Then find these files on your computer and double-click each to run them. Click YES to the warnings: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\settingssamewindow.reg to the registry? and Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\drivesfoldersopensamewindow.reg to the registry? You may have to reboot your computer for the settings to take effect.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 07 December 2006 - 09:33 PM.

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Fenor...

Superb!!!!!!!!!!! :whistling:

Thanks a ton dear... it has worked...

would like to know if i can delete those extra options in RIGHT CLICK MENU with the use of registry?

Cheers !!!1
Ashu

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
In what context menus do these appear in? When you right-click a file, a drive, an exe file, a doc file, etc....

Fenor

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
attached is the screen shot

let me know how to delete the items encircled

Attached Files

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Re-open the Registry Editor and click on MY COMPUTER once to highlight it. Then hit CTRL-F to bring up the find window and type in open1 and click FIND NEXT. When it finds a location, right-click that entry and choose COPY KEY NAME and paste it somewhere, like in notepad. Then click FIND NEXT and repeat for all instances of open1 that are found. Do the same for open2. Then post the contents that you pasted into the notepad file into your next post.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 07 December 2006 - 09:48 PM.

Ashutosh

Ashutosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Fenor

Thanks a ton...

I could search those 2 option.. which was existed in same registry key...

i hve deleted those 2.. i did this before i got this mail..

i hope this wont create any prob.. i deleted those becuase i had created it..

thanks

cheers!!!
Ashu