Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

processor speed

• Please log in to reply

cleatus fist

cleatus fist

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Got a wee problem.

just bought a new game, but it wont run as it requires 1000Mhz processor speed. I checked via the control panel and I have an AMD athlon 3000+, running at 767Mhz, too slow, fair play.

As a double check I entered the BIOS settings, which tells me I have a 1.6 Ghz processor, now I'm confused, quite a difference I feel.

whats the score here, which ones telling the truth? 767Mhz or 1.6Ghz? do I need a new chip? is there anything I can do?

It's a Compaq Presario R3000 laptop.

thanks for any help

scottie.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The laptop is using Cool & Quiet technology. In other words, its supposed to run at, in your case, 767Mhz when it isn't doing anything as this saves battery power. When you do something extensive with it, it speeds up.

There may be an option or a switch to pass to the game (which game is it?) to tell it to ignore the processor speed when starting, and there may also be an option in the BIOS to turn the cool & quiet off.

cleatus fist

cleatus fist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
the game is PDC world darts. Why doesn't the processor speed just ramp up when the game needs it? whereabout in the bios settings an I switch cool and quiet off? and what efferct will this have on the laptop when not playing the game?

cheers

scottie