Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop screen problem

• Please log in to reply

kokonutz

kokonutz

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have a Dell Latitude C400 laptop that is about 4 years old. The only problem I am having with it is the screen. Sometimes the right half of the screen starts acting up...vertical lines running and sometimes it goes out completely. If I put a small book under the right side it helps at times. This doesn't happen all the time just every now and then. Could this have something to do with a graphics card or am I looking at something more major going out?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you can change it by doing something to the laptop it is a connection problem in the computer and not a "bad hardware" problem. More than likely where the small ruibbon cable goes into the graphics adapter inside the computer side of the laptop( not the screen enclosure).

When i was trying out for a tech position at a local dealership i was instructed in problems with laptop screens to replace the whole assembly and not waste time diagnosing the problem. I didn't last long there. Remove and replace was the rule of thumb.

SRX660