Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Messed up registry or maybe script problems

• Please log in to reply

bluepigeon

bluepigeon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Please help! I'm running Windows98 on a 5-7 yr old HP Pavilion. Yesterday I decided to replace Norton with McAfee. McAfee seemed to be working fine and internet access and applications were fine last night but this morning, I deleted a new.net file (because McAfee told me to) and I also deleted the Symantec Shared Files folder (since I uninstalled Norton). Now I'm having all kinds of problems with different applications and I have a feeling I messed up the registry. And I can't use scanreg /restore because I've tried too many
times and now all 5 backups are defective ones (AAAAHH!).

Here are some of the problems:

-- I can't access McAfee Security Center. A window opens and there are 3 icons in the upper right corner but the rest of the window is completely blank. I tried to uninstall McAfee and that won't work either-- computer freezes or the uninstall quits.

-- I can't open Firefox. Computer freezes and I have to reboot.

-- In IE6: I can't see certain images. For instance, in my yahoo email account, I can log on and open an email but I can't read it. I see the headers but the body of the email is blank. In Google Images, the hits
page is empty-- the Google header and footer are there but nothing in the middle (not white space like with my yahoo email, there's no space in between the header and footer). BUT, Yahoo Images do show up?? I also can't use the Find function on any webpage (the "next" button is grayed out).

My security (in Internet Options) is set to the default. I tried the Winsock lspfix.exe but it didn't really find anything (except another new.net file). I tried to update my Java from the Sun site but that didn't seem to change anything. I know nothing about scripts but maybe I have a problem with them running since nothing seems to happen when I click buttons on some sites? e.g., I was trying to add smilies to this post by clicking on them from the menu to the left but when I clicked on them I see "java script:emoticon(':whistling:', 'smid_24') in the bottom bar but nothing happens (I can get smilies by typing in the puncutation though, right? :blink:) )

Maybe it's my registry but as I said, I've done scanreg /restore too many times and now all backups are today's bad versions. Yikes. It's time to get a new computer but I just can't afford it right now. I'd be so grateful for any help!

Thanks!

ETA: Forgot to add that Windows Media Player doesn't open either-- I get an "Internal application error" message. RealPlayer, however, does work.

Edited by bluepigeon, 07 December 2006 - 03:25 PM.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Alright lets see what I can do here.

Try scanreg /fix. It will rebuild the registry.

bluepigeon

bluepigeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for responding yield22! I tried scanreg /fix as you suggested but unfortunately nothing has changed. :whistling: I ran AdAware just in case but I still can't access or even uninstall McAfee (when I try to open McAfee Security Center or use Add/Remove programs to uninstall it, the windows that open are defective/incomplete). It's weird because my comcast web mail works just fine, but in Yahoo, not only can't I see the body of the email, but the Reply, Fwd, etc. buttons don't work either. On some sites I'm familiar with, where I know there are supposed to be buttons on the page, there's nothing. Where did the buttons go? I know nothing about programs (can't you tell?) but do buttons run with javascript? Applets? I tried to go to a site and I got a "To continue without Javascript, click here" page. Does this mean I have some kind of Javascript problem? Would this cause Firefox not to open? Why is my Windows Media Player not opening either?

I know I could do a complete reinstall but I'd really rather not have to since I don't actually have a Windows 98 disk, just the "recovery disks" that came with the computer. :blink: Any other ideas? Thank you for your help! :help:

bluepigeon

bluepigeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yippee! :blink: I found an answer! Since MediaPlayer wasn't working either I googled that and found:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regsvr32 jscript.dll, and then click OK.
3. Click OK.
4. Click Start, and then click Run.
5. In the Open box, type regsvr32 vbscript.dll, and then click OK.
6. Click OK.

It worked! I can read my Yahoo now and images show up that didn't before. Phew! :help: Firefox is still all screwy-- won't open, won't uninstall. :whistling: But that's okay-- I can deal. Thanks for your help, yield22! (If you have any ideas about the Firefox, I'm all ears)

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Hm... you ok with opening the registry?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Wait.. Why cant you uninstall firefox? error messages? If thats the case we'll remove the files manually from the registry and will get you a fresh copy!

bluepigeon

bluepigeon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yield-- I'm not sure what's wrong w/FF since I don't get any error messages. I only know that when I click on the icon, it starts to open for about 2 seconds, then the computer freezes and I can't do anything but reboot. When I try to uninstall FF, same thing. I know I could just try to delete the FF directories and reinstall it... but I'm afraid now :whistling:. Everything's been working okay with IE *knocks on wood* so maybe I'll just hobble along until I get a new computer and use FF on that. :blink: Thanks though! :help:

p.s. what is your opinion of REGSEEKER? (got a recommendation for it)

Edited by bluepigeon, 10 December 2006 - 10:38 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
The reason why I wanna open regedit is that we can delete all the keys so it on the uninstall list no more. Than we can delete its directory from c:/ directory no more. Than we can get a fresh copy of Mozilla if you would like!