Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Boot up Problem

• Please log in to reply

Midnightx

Midnightx

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
lets see, how can i explain it? i restart my comp and then at startup when the desktop and toolbar and everything loads...looks fine...but in teh toolbar on the bottom right...it only loads 3 things....my sound icon, and 2 other programs...i normally have more....and my whole comp freezes at startup.....so i cant rigght on the desktop...or click on icons...or press the start button or anythin....i just downloaded a game today...its completely safe though....and im on another comp right now...can anyone help me with this?

i tried turning on my comp again, now it wont let me go to my desktop or w.e....even in safe mode...it just shows a blue screen saying stuff...the error is "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and it tells me wat to do under it...but it dont work....

thanks

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Look at this Microsoft article. It requires your Windows XP CD. Follow the "damaged system file" instructions. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Please post back and let us know if that helped at all.

Midnightx

Midnightx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Look at this Microsoft article. It requires your Windows XP CD. Follow the "damaged system file" instructions. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Please post back and let us know if that helped at all.

is there a possible way without my windows xp cd? or any way i can just burn one off the internet on to a cd?
and thanks for the welcome :whistling:

Edited by Midnightx, 07 December 2006 - 03:58 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You have to have a Windows XP CD, maybe not the original one, but I'm not certain if you can get what you need off the internet. Someone else will have to answer that.

Midnightx

Midnightx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok i got a Windows XP CD from my friend....and iuno how to run it...cuzz i cant even get to my desktop, it wont work in Safe Mode, Safe Mod with Networking, or Safemode with command prompt, or last known configuration, or start windwos normally, they all show the blue screen when i choose any of them....so is there a way to run the cd while not being able to go to your desktop?

"Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted."

how do i do that i guess......

Edited by Midnightx, 08 December 2006 - 02:50 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Follow the directions in that MS article (post #2). You boot to the CD, not into Windows on the hard drive.

Midnightx

Midnightx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Follow the directions in that MS article (post #2). You boot to the CD, not into Windows on the hard drive.

well yea...how do u boot to the cd....?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What brand of computer do you have?

Midnightx

Midnightx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

What brand of computer do you have?

it was custom built...so i dont kknow...unless theres a way to know? and the welcome to setup screen wont appear for me...

Ozzyb

Ozzyb

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
HI.
Set the Bios to boot from cd-rom / set Bios to look at cd-rom before Hard drive.

save to cmos and restart pc.

Windows should now load from cd-rom

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Then try pressing the CTRL key when the Windows splash screen first comes up. If it works, you'll get a screen that lists boot options: Hard Drive, Floppy Drive, CD Drive. Choose CD Drive. The system should then boot from the CD. If the CTRL key doesn't work, try the ESC key.

Or you could go into BIOS and change the boot sequence, as Ozzyb suggested. Again, the keystroke differs based on manufacturer. What motherboard do you have? F2 would be a good guess.

Midnightx

Midnightx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
no ctrl or esc doesnt work.... my manufacturer is : Intel...and my processor is is Intel ® Pentium®...

and how would i go set my BIOS?

my mother board is ASUS P4P800-VM...or UM i couldnt tell....

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try the DEL key.

Midnightx

Midnightx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
ok the DEL key worked now im in BIOS SETUP UTILITY.... which tab do i go to to change this? teres Main, Advenaced, Power, Boot, Exit....i was trying to look for how to do it but can't....

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You want to change the Boot sequence, so follow the nagivation instructions to get to that page. Along the bottom of your screen should list the navigation keys (for example: arrow keys to move across, up, plus/minus key to change an item's value, PageDn and PageUp keys to move between pages). Also take note of which key does "Save & Exit". After changing the boot sequence to put the CD drive first, be sure you save the settings at exit.