Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft windows update problem

• Please log in to reply

sarofeim

sarofeim

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi, my names andrew and im getting this problem that i can't update windows. I know for a fact that i have no spyware or viruses since i just reformated my computer. Anyways, i go to do my updates right after i finish reinstalling windows, then it asks me to restart my pc, so i do. When i go to do my updates again, it says looking for available sofware, your computer may encounter security warnings, make sure they are from microsoft and click yes. I wait paitiently but nothing comes up.

p.s when i went to do my first upgrade, it was to upgrade the site, nothing else

p.s.s a security warning came up which was from microsft so i clicked yes and never show this warning again (this was for the first update to update the site)

Thx in advance

yours truely
Andrew

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Check you sysem date/clock.

What you describe can occur if your system date is set ahead of today.

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
1) What operating system?
2) If Windohs XP, was it a version that included Service Pack 2 (security center can block important pop-ups without making it very apparent, thereby effectively blocking updates)
3) Have you tried confiquring windows update through the operating system, by running the updates wizard?

sarofeim

sarofeim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi, user_name, thx for the fast reply

firslty, im running windows xp home and it has not included service pack 2. and the last part, i don't know how to configure windows, mainly because i have no idea where the update wizard is. sorry, im not very computer smart but im learning. :tazz:

Thx for your time
Andrew

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
If you don't have service pack 2, I might seriously consider obtaining it (they are free at most best buys and circuit citys, etc.) from your local retailer and installing it. I beleive it's downloadable as well, but the problem being with your windows update it might not download correctly.

If you can obtain a copy of it on CD, you would probably have your problem fixed almost immediately (as service pack 2 handles windows updates by integrating it into security center, which is a feature of service pack 2)

sarofeim

sarofeim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey thanx for the great advice, gonna go to best buy today to see if they can help me out.

thx again for your time
peace
Andrew

sarofeim

sarofeim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi again

Alright, i got the windows xp cd and when i tried to install service pack 2, it gave me an error, now im really ticked since i just reformatted my pc and im getting this weird problem. Have any other good ideas? i sure could use them right about now.

Thx again
Andrew

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
What was the error you recieved when trying to install service pack 2? It sounds like windows didn't load properly when you formatted...

sarofeim

sarofeim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hey user_name

Im sorry but i do not remember the error that i recieved, but i know it was starting working and it started to back up my files. i leave and when i get back, i get an error. have any other ideas?

thx again
andrew

user_name

user_name

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Sounds like Windows wasn't formatted properly. Without knowing the error I really don't know what to tell you.

sarofeim

sarofeim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hey thx for the fast reply

Thx anyways for the help, im just going to reformat the cuputer again, all the spyware and junk is filling my pc and its driving me nuts, i had 9 spyware installed on my pc in the first hour after reformating my pc. Well im going to give you the news after im done the reinstalling, bye for now

Andrew

sarofeim

sarofeim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hey again

Well im glad to say that everything went fine, i now have all updates including service pack 2. Im just curious as to why it gave me some crazy problems. O well, guess i will never know

Thx for your support, i hope we will be able to talk again

Andrew