Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need a fast reply

• Please log in to reply

Canus

Canus

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i was having a few problems with my computer, with virus' and such. so i desided to update and replace my files using the windows cd. the only problem was that instead of replacing the windows files like it normally does. It seems to have gone right over my old computer, and all my documents and everything are gone. Im really praying that they are all there, but when i look at my hard drive i still have the same amount of space. can anyone help me revert back to how i was

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Canus...

What kind of cd did you use? Was it a retail version cd, or was it a recovery cd that came with your machine? (ie: Dell, HP, Compaq, etc...)

In My Computer, double click on "Local Disk C:". How many Windows folders are in there? Are there any named Windows0, Windows1, or WindowsOld...anything like that?

wannabe1

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
i used my normal windows media cd and no, there is only 1 windows

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What's the make and model number of your machine?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
system model awrdacpi
sysem type x86 pc
manufactuer ati.
not sure what you need, just tell me if you want more

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is this a Branded machine like a Dell or HP?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well i got it a mgd. its a canadian computer company that makes computers. mostlikely its many parts of different comps

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you reinstalled, do you remember seeing anything in the procedure that mentioned Formatting?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
nope i made special note to avoid formatting the disk because there was still files i wanted

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmm...

In My Computer again, double click on "Local Disk C:", then double click on "Documents and Settings". How many folders are there with your username or a variation of it?

Advertisements

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
there are 2, one that i believe is mine because i cant access it..though the folder says its empty and then this new one that was created

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try Taking Ownership of that folder and see if it shows any files. Was this folder ever password protected?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
ok ive taken ownership so ive dragged the files i needed. but i was wondering if there is a way that i can either deleat this windows and go back to the old one, or somehow gain access to everything i once had

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you be more specific about "somehow gain access to everything i once had"?

Were you able to recover the data from your old account and do the files open?

Canus

Canus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
they open while i am in safe mode, but while im on it normally i cant access anything. when i say acces to everything i once had i mean like how it was before with only one windows on it