Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound 2

• Please log in to reply

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey guys. I just reformatted my computer and everything went as expected (well most of it anyways). So my little sister was just using the computer and she told me that the sound wasn't working. Considering it was my little sister who told this to me, I just thought it would be something dumb like the speakers weren't plugged in of the volume control was all the way down. That was a bad assumption. I started checking it out and apparently "Volume Control" isn't even installed. The weird thing is I could've sworn I heard sounds through the speakers last night. Maybe I'm wrong though. Anyways, "Volume Control" usually would show up on the taskbar and doesn't show up there now. So I looked into "Control Panel" under "Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices" and clicked on "Advanced Volume Controls" (under "See Also"). A message shows up that says "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Add Hardware. This program will now close." So I followed those instructions but couldn't find anything that wasn't already installed. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Advertisements

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
You gotta install the sound card driver :whistling:

Do you know what kind of sound card you have (or if it is integrated in the motherboard)?

If so, check out the driver list here: http://www.computerh...ivers/sound.htm

Also, with Internet Explorer go to Windows Update, that often has many generic sound card drivers.

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The problem is...I don't know what sound card I have....

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
Download and install EVEREST.

Launch it. Click the "Computer" icon. Click the "Summary" icon. Scroll down to where it says "Multimedia". Under that it should list "Audio Adapter". That would be your sound card.

In fact, one of the many cool things about Everest (and one of the reasons I love the program so much) is that you can click the name of the audio adapter (the name on the right) and select "Driver Download" and it will try to find the drivers for you.

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Make sure you let us know so we can help you find the drivers.

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You mean...this?

Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

Edited by Rran Gray, 08 December 2006 - 06:04 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
That really doesn't help much when there's 500 different AC'97 sound controller software drivers. It depends on the make and model of the computer or the moptherboard.

http://www.soundcard...mpanies/496.htm

SRX660

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well how would I know it? would there be like a sticker or something on the system box?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are running a custom built computer it will probably not have any name tags on the case. If that is so then look up the motherboard and see if there are drivers on the motherboard makers website. Otherwise it is a cramp shoot to pick on from the list that i put up.

SRX660

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Look at the model of motherboard within Everest. That will allow people to look up the specifications and integrated sound controller it comes with. If you haven't downloaded/installed Everest yet then I suggest you do so now.

I agree it would be easier to have it all written in one place but there are so many different computer parts and configurations that it would need a mighty big box to fit all the printing on it. Think of Everest as that box it's written on.

Advertisements

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
so...this?

Motherboard ID 10/28/2002-i845G-LPC47M1-6A69VM3EC-00

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Underneath the Motherboard ID it should tell the the Motherboard name. That is the one we need. :whistling:

Rran Gray

Rran Gray

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It says...

Dell Dimension 2350

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts