Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My DVD Drive won't read/detect DVDs.

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are your system specs now...
you can buy another dvd/cd burner for about $30.00...no need for a new system unless yours is really old....

Advertisements

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Well, I'm gonna start college in January. So I'm saving up for a new computer that I'll be able to work more effectively on.

I currently have an AMD 1000 Ghz Processor, 512mb of RAM, and a ATi 9200 Video Card. I have been looking at Dells website and their customization features extensively. If you know of any place that offers that level of customization(or more) at a lower price, I'd like to know.

Edited by KazarSanaga, 15 December 2006 - 02:15 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
are you looking at laptops or towers....

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Towers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what exactly do you plan on doing with it...some programs need faster components...gaming needs faster ( read more expensive) video cards..knowing what you will be doing I can better advise you..

this link is for a $1000.00 gaming rig....with some tweaking we could shave some money off that ...and you would have a decent machine with some future proofing ...

http://nl.internet.c...,39mc,7foc,6j3q

Edited by happyrck, 16 December 2006 - 09:12 AM.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Mostly Media creation/playing & gaming. I'm currently talking to someone that might be able to help me get one much sooner than I expected. I wouldn't want to trouble you guys with helping me build a custom comp. (As I think you're hinting at about the Rig, not sure).

Edited by KazarSanaga, 17 December 2006 - 04:30 AM.