Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless ok but computers can't see each other

• Please log in to reply

paulsiam

paulsiam

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Windows XP Pro. Linksys Wireless running okay. Two laptops have perfect access to internet through the wireless. Tried to set up a wireless network so that these two laptops can see each other. Ran Wizard. But they still do not see each other. Firewalls are off.

Just wondering if McAfee 2007 has any problem with this?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Just wondering if McAfee 2007 has any problem with this?

it very well could be...when you say the firewalls are off...are you including the mcaffee one? i'm not a mcaffee wizard so i don't know where the setting is...but i believe in it's firewall there is a setting to allow windows networking

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
the problem was McAfee 2007. Anti-virus program adds a personal firewall. I disabled it, and now no problem at all.

Thanks!

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
That may be working but are your computers still secure?

paulsiam

paulsiam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
finally restored the firewall. But had to add "Trusted IP Addresses" which I took from the range of addresses that the router will automatically assign to any computer that can access the secured wireless. It worked. Now all the laptops have the firewall re-activated; but can see each other and access each other's shared doc folder.

Good feeling that it was successful.