Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newbie, upgrading - Needing opinions / help

• Please log in to reply

Cazbah

Cazbah

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello, i am going to upgrade my computer pretty soon, here are it's details:

Graphics card: 16MB ATI Rage 128 ultra
DirectX: 9.0c
CPU Type: Dell - Intel Pentium 4, 1700MHz (17x100)
System Memory: 256MB RAM
Disk Drive: 18GB
Network: Motorola SURFboard modem (cable)

Basically im looking to make my computer more of a gaming computer, i know i need to update basically everything, can anybody give me some tips / tricks?

Thanks, Cazbah.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
A lot of it depends on your motherboard. Look inside the case and see if you can find the model number for your mobo and post it here. That will determine what upgrades you can make. More than likely, you're probably at the top of the line as far CPU support on that mobo.

You'll see the most drastic and immediate improvements by upgrading your RAM. Going from 256MB to 512 will show a huge difference. Post your mobo model and or system model number and we can give you better advice.

Cazbah

Cazbah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, do you mean open the motherboard case or the tower? And where would i find this Mobo?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A mobo is a motherboard, and there is no such thing as a motherboard case, its just case the whole system is in there. What you need to do is set yourself an objective as to what kind of games you want to play, if you want to play new games like new FPS and RPG games you most likely will have to start with a whole new system rather than an upgrade.

Cazbah

Cazbah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I play FPS shooters, Counterstrike, Gunz, etc.

Looks like i'll be buying a new PC.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
counterstrike and gunz don't have huge system reqs though... you could get by with some upgrades, depending on your mobo.

Cazbah

Cazbah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

counterstrike and gunz don't have huge system reqs though... you could get by with some upgrades, depending on your mobo.

Yea i know, do you have any suggestions?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
as a number of people have said, we can't really give any suggestions unless we know what type of motherboard you have.

Look inside the case and see if you can find the model number for your mobo and post it here.

Edited by stettybet0, 09 December 2006 - 05:59 PM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

download everest and you won't have to open your case to get your mobo info here - http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

cheers...xxx1

Cazbah

Cazbah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

hi,

download everest and you won't have to open your case to get your mobo info here - http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

cheers...xxx1

downloaded, installed, how do i get my mobo info?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Run everest and post the results.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
run everest, it should have motherboard name under ( motherboard ) that should be a start.

cheers...xxx1

Cazbah

Cazbah

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
There is a lot of things under the "Motherboard" drop menu, can you please tell me in detail what to do?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

When you run Everest, expand the branch called 'Computer' in the left pane of the everest window. You will then see a sub-branch also called 'computer'. Click once on the branch to highlight it. In the right pane you should now see a load of info, including 'Motherboard Name'.

cheers...xxx1