Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Presario 5000 is shutting down

• Please log in to reply

susan4536

susan4536

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I hope someone can help me, I've been trying all day to fix this unsucessfully.

Since yesterday my computer , Compaq Presario , Win XP, is shutting down. It will go to the "Compaq" screen, blink a cursor in the upper left and seconds later change to a big cursor in the upper right of the screen. Sometime I manage to get past this point but it shuts down within 5-10 minutes. Durine one of these times I ran a virus scan and nothing came up. I've been in touch with Compaq/HP and so far they had me uninstall the Power Management, change my Powe scheme, this didn't work.

They also suggested I reset my BIOS but I can't get to any commands by hitting F8 or F10.

I can get around a computer "fairly" well but I am completely lost on this one, I hope someone can help.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

What model number is your Presario?
Do you know how to get into and use bios? If not thats ok we will get to more on it later.

Turn on BSOD, this is of course if it will run long enough to be able to do this

This can be done by right clicking "my computer"->properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery Settings
Uncheck the "Automatically restart checkbox.

If you get the BSOD, post the error and DLL that is causing it.

If you are not afraid to work with computer hardware then remove the case side depending on the model it could be 2 sides with top.

Before touching anything inside be sure to ground yourself from static electricity by touching a metel object (the case)

Check that the cpu fan is spinning on power up

Check the heat sink that the cpu fan is attached to is not clogged with dust if it is use a can of compressed air to blow dust out. Be carefull keep the can upright if you turn on its side it will spray moister.

Rick