Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

preseving laptop battery life

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i really hate to keep on turnin on my laptop everytime i wanna use it when im in school... which one would be better for my battery putting it in stand by mode or hibernate mode?

Advertisements

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Read this:

Standby is a feature that you can use on your laptop that will put your computer into a power-saving mode without turning it off. This is convenient if you are moving between classes or locations in the library, but should never be used if your computer is going to be off for more than five or ten minutes. Extended use of the Standby feature can cause several problems with your PC including slow response time, disconnectivity of the wireless or network resources, freezing, or even loss of data.

If your computer is going to be off for more than a few minutes, it is recommended that you shut it down completely.

The Hibernate function is also an alternative to standby for longer periods of inactivity. This saves everything in memory to your laptop's hard drive and completely powers down the computer. In turn, the startup time is faster than it would be when starting up from a complete shutdown. This too, unfortunately, has it's drawbacks, which can be the same as those experienced with Standby mode.

Whether you use either Standby or Hibernate, it is important to remember that you should completely shut down your computer at least once a day. Extended periods of use can lead to system instability, and a quick restart gives your computer a chance to refresh itself.