Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Half Screen Web Pages

• Please log in to reply

Bouncing Badger

Bouncing Badger

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have just bought a 19" widescreen LCD monitor which has an optimum resolution of 1440 x 900.

I installed it and it worked fine on my old resolution of 800 x 600 because 1440 x 900 was not available on my system. However I downloaded some Nvidea drivers and set the resolution at 1440 x 900 which certainly sharpened up the text and improved images.

My problem is that now many web pages will not display fullscreen, many will, but lots only fill half the screen, either in the middle or filling the left half. Many of these sites are major sites like Microsoft and the BBC which work ok on my daughters widescreen.

I use IE7 and have tried Firefox and Opera browsers but the problem remained.

If I progressively reduce the resolution the pages gradually fill more of the screen until I get to 800 x 600 when all the screen is filled by all pages. But of course I am back to where I started with poorer quality.

Help would be appreciated

Edited to say I have just discovered I can expand the half size pages to fill the screen if I use the zoom facility, but I don't want to have to do this all the time

Edited by Bouncing Badger, 08 December 2006 - 11:17 AM.

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
Did you purchase it new from a reputable "dealer?" If so, then what did they have to say about it? Any probs should be handled by them, first off...

NVidia has a pile of drivers, as does ATI, etc.... did you install the correct drivers for your particular unit...go to the mfr's web site and see what drivers are correct and necessary for your particular case...you will need the serial number most likely... While you are at their site, see if there is a trouble-shooting service.

Try DriverMagic or DriverGenius in their trial modes if available...they will scan your system and remediate as needed, if you buy the full prog...otherwise they will advise...

Edited by b1caez01, 15 December 2006 - 11:20 AM.